Person Index

Judd, James

James JUDD
b: 1846
d: 24 DEC 1930
Christ Church''s Web Site
262 WELCH Ann Read
262 WELCH William

260 WELCH Annie
260 WELCH Kathleen

260 ELDER Eileen

260 JUDD Anne Elizabeth
260 JUDD James
260 JUDD James
260 JUDD Lila May

260 RALPH Jane
260 RALPH William

263 WELCH Arabella
263 WELCH Ernest Alfred
263 WELCH Sarah Arabella
263 WELCH William Read

35 WELCH Arthur Wellesley

Evening Post 12 June 1925
Mr. George Judd one of the oldest residents of Wellington, celebrated his 90th birthday recently at his home in Waiwetu road, Lower Hutt. Many friends and relative were present, and a number of toasts appropriate to the occasion were honoured. Mr. Judd was born at Maidstone, Kent, in 1835, and left England with his parents on the Martha Ridgway, arriving in New Zealand in 1840. Mr. Judd, who is a veteran of Gabriel''s Gully, has spent the greater part of his life in the Hutt Valley. Among those present were Mrs. Judd, who was born at Aurora terrace, Wellington, and Mr. James Judd, a brother of the nonogenarian, who was born in a blockhouse near the present Hutt Bridge during the Maori War.

Hutt City Library Online Database
Main Title: James Judd - the facts
Author: Carey, Alison
Imprint: 2004
Notes: Indexes: Filing Cabinet
Language: English
Subject: Biographies, General A-M
Christ Church, Taita
Heritage resources

Hutt City Library Online Database
Main Title: Manor House Interior
Imprint: 1929
Notes: 1849
Indexes: E21
Summary: Interior of Manor House at Haywards when part of the George estate in the 1920s. Shows the West end of the drawing-room with entrance from the verandah. The Manor House was originally a two storied farmhouse built for James Judd in 1887.It was considerably enlarged, altered and embellished with balconies, verandahs and a conservatory under the ownership of Mr George from 1920.
Language: English
Subject: Manor House
Haywards Hill
Views -- Manor Park
Heritage resources

plus simliar photos

Evening Post 18 September 1928
Diamond Wedding.
Mr. and Mrs. George Judd, well-known residents of Lower Hutt, celebrated their diamond wedding at the home of their son, Mr. G. F. Judd, 62, Waterloo road, Lower Hutt, on Sunday. Among those present were Mrs. J. Kilmister, Mr. and Mrs. Hankins, Mrs. Staples, Mrs. Herd, Mrs. Baumber, Mrs. W. Kilmister. Mrs. Hare, Mrs. Dickens (of Masterton), Mrs. Southee, Mrs. Keene, Mr. and Mrs. W. Judd, Mrs. Newcombe, nine grandchildren, and numerous friends. Mr. George Judd was born at Maidstone, Kent, in 1835, and came out to Wellington with his parents on the Martha Ridgway in 1840. Mrs. Judd was born in Aurora terrace in 1848. Her parents were the late Mr. and Mrs. John Kilmister, who arrived at Wellington in 1842 on the ship Lady Nugent, and who at the time of their death were aged 92 years and 91 years respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Judd have spent most of their lives in Wellington and Lower Hutt. Mr. John Kilmister, a brother of Mrs. Judd, and Mrs. Kilmister, a sister of Mr. Judd, celebrated their diamond wedding three years ago. Mrs. Kilmister was present on Sunday. Longevity is a characteristic of both the Judd and Kilmister families, Mr. John Kilmister being 92 years of age and his wife 85 years of age. Mr. James Judd, a brother of Mr. George Judd, who was also present on Sunday, is 82 years of age.

Marriage Details
1869/5805, Bride: Ann Elizabeth Ralph, Groom: James Judd

Evening Post 19 July 1881
POISON will be laid on the lands of the undersigned, from this date.
Near Hayward''s Station

Evening Post 5 September 1882
At a meeting of the members of the Taita Cricket Club, held on Saturday night, the Secretary read a report, from which it appeared that the club had a fair balance on hand to start the coming season. Out of 18 matches played during the past season the club had won 16. The club bat was won by W. Cudby, with an average of 13 1/2 runs (17 matches), W. Welch being second -with an average of 11 1/2 runs (14 matches). Besides the bat given by the club for the highest average scorer, there are two bats to be given by private members — one for the highest individual score, and one for the best bowling. The following officers were elected: — President, Mr. W. Beetham; captain, W. Cudby; secretary, W. Brown; treasurer, G. Welch; committee, J. Judd, W. Welch, W. Russell, and J. Mahony (sic). A vote of thanks to Mr. W. Welch, for presiding, terminated the proceedings.

Evening Post 18 December 1884
This DaY.
(Before Mr. H. S. Wardell, R.M.)
Frederick Jones was brought up on remand, charged with having deserted his infant child. He pleaded Not Guilty. Jas. Judd, a farmer residing at the Taita, deposed that the accused was related to him by marriage. Some months ago the accused left his infant boy in the charge of a lady, but in April last she handed the child over to him as one of Jones'' relatives. The boy had been with him ever since. Accused informed the Bench that he was on his way to Wellington to regain possession of the child when he was arrested at Foxton on the present charge. At the suggestion of his Worship the police withdrew the information on the understanding that the father would take charge of the boy and pay the costs in connection with his arrest.

Evening Post 3 June 1889
THE undersigned have mutually agreed to charge the following prices for Milk, to be delivered at the Lower Hutt Railway Station:- 8d per gallon from 1st June instant to 30th September, 1889; 5d per gallon from 1st October to 30th April 1890.
E. J. Riddiford
S. S. Mason
D. Judd
W. Clout
J. Cavanagh
Perry Bros.
E. Hayes
James Judd
Thomas Avery
John Farrelly
George Chittick
Stephen Judd
George Windrun
Peter Speedy

Evening Post 3 May 1898
ANY Persons found Trepassing on our Properties at Belmont and Haywards with dog or gun will be prosecuted.
S. Death
James Judd
W. M. Stack
E. J. Judd
W. & G. Ebden
R. J. Kells

Evening Post 27 November 1926
A milestone in the history of Methodism in Lower Hutt was marked yesterday, when His Excellency the Governor-General, Sir Charles Fergusson, laid the Foundation-stone of a new brick church destined to take the place of the present wooden structure which has done duty since the year 1875.
His Excellency was welcomed by Mr. W. T. Strand, Mayor of Lower Hutt, and by the Rev. W. Rowe, the resident minister. Having been presented with a silver trowel, His Excellency declared that the memorial stone was well and truly laid. The history of the church appealed to him, he said, because he could remember that fifty-three years ago representatives of that church had been visitors at Government House when his father was Governor of New Zealand. Nobody who studied history could fail to appreciate the work of the Methodist Church in this part of the world, and he trusted that the new church would prove to be an inspiration for the future.
A dedicatory prayer was offered by the Rev. C. Eaton, and addresses were given by the Rev. W. Greenslade, chairman of the district, by the Rev. J. A. Lochore, and by visiting ministers from other churches.
The new church was designed by Mr. William Fielding, and is being erected by Mr. C. H. Downes. The contract price is £6056, but it is expected that before the building is finished and furnished the cost will be raised to £6700. Including the gallery, the building will seat 450, and will be heated by modern appliances.
The structure is a brick one, and will be finished above the height of the window sills inside with Keen''s cement plaster. The windows are to be of leadlights, with amber-tinted glass. The floor will be a sloping one. Ample vestry accommodation has been provided.
The first recorded mission work by the Wesleyan Church in the Wellington district was the visit paid to Port Nicholson in 1839 by the Revs. J. Hobbs and J. H. Bumby in the sailing vessel Hokianga.
The landing was made at Wanganuiatera, a Maori pa on the shores of Port Nicholson. In relation to this visit, mention is made of the river Heretaona (Heretaunga, now known as Hutt). A white man is mentioned as living on the beach at Petone. One result of this visit was the purchase of about three acres on the Te Aro River. Title to this land was afterwards, however, successfully disputed by the New Zealand Land Company.
The Rev. J. Aldred established a mission station at Port Nicholson in 1840.
The first immigrants, who arrived in the Aurora on 22nd January, 1840, landed at Pit-o-one, and among these were a number of Methodists, Messrs. Udy, Poad, Burt, Cundy, Tucker, Williams, and others. Several of these were Cornishmen, and they built a row of houses side by side, which was known as Cornish Row, and it was in these that the first services and prayer meetings were held. This row of houses was shortly afterwards destroyed by fire, and a flood following determined the early settlers to remove to Pipitea Point. After the arrival of the Rev. J. Aldred services were conducted by him at both Wellington and Hutt. Hutt was then known as Aglionby, in which district some of the settlers had established themselves instead of removing to Pipitea, and somewhere west of the present Hutt Bridge the services, previously held in Petone, were continued practically without intermission in a raupo whare. A class meeting met regularly for religious fellowship fortnightly during 1841. In 1846 a distinct society was formed at Hutt, Mr. Poad being appointed steward. It was in this raupo whare that Mr. James Judd, now residing in Queen''s road, Lower Hutt, was born in 1846, his mother, with other women in the Hutt Valley, having taken refuge there during one of the alarm periods of the Maori War.
Shortly after the first Wesleyan Church was built, in what is now the closed Wesleyan Cemetery, just west of the bridge, Mr. C. Hunt, acted as precentor, local preacher, and class leader. In 1850 the Rev. J. Aldred was appointed to live in the Hutt Valley, and resided not far from the present railway station. In March, 1853, it was resolved to secure a new site, and eventually the site now occupied by the present church was purchased from Captain Daniell, being one of two properties in the Dominion which were originally settled on the English Model Deed. On 21st February, 1854, a new church was opened on this site. Shortly, afterwards a substantial parsonage was erected at the rear of the building, and this was only a few months ago demolished to make room for the new brick church. The timber was found in an excellent state of preservation. In 1868 a new schoolroom was built, and in 1875 the church which at present does duty was erected at a cost of ��750. The first service in this building was conducted by the Rev. J. Richardson, the minister of the circuit, on the morning of 7th November, 1875, and the Revs. William Morley, D.D., and H. R. Dewsbury conducted the services in the afternoon and evening.

Death Details
1930/6303, James Judd, Aged: 84Y - Date of Death 24/12/1930 from Death Registration

Hutt Valley Cemetery Records James Judd, Date: 24 Dec 1930, Christ Church Anglican, Taita, Monumental Inscription, Reference: 83

Evening Post 26 December 1930
The death occurred recently of Mr. James Judd, who was born in Lower Hutt in 1846 and who had lived in the district ever since. He was one of the Valley''s oldest pioneers, and in his early years had some adventurous experiences. At the time of the Native raid on Boulcott Farm he was sixteen years of age. Farming was the deceased''s occupation, and at one time he farmed 1800 acres of land in the Valley. He was a member of the Druids'' Lodge, a very keen cricketer, and an enthusiastic bowler. The name of Judd has figured largely in Lower Hutt cricket teams at various times.
The late Mr. Judd''s father, Mr. William Judd, came out to New Zealand in the Martha Ridgway in 1840. The deceased leaves seven sons and three daughters.

Hutt News 23 September 1931
The annual meeting of the Hutt District Club was held in the Pavilion, Recreation Ground, on Thursday of last week. The President, Mr. E. P. Bunny presided over a good attendance of members. The chairman in his opening remarks referred to the loss the club has suffered through the death of Mr. James Judd who had been connected with cricket in the Hutt Valley from the time the game was first played in the district. The death of Mr W. S. Hood was also deeply regretted as he had always been a very enthusiastic and untiring worker in the interests of cricket. The meeting stood in silence as a mark of respect to the memories of the deceased gentlemen.

Probate James Judd, Place: Lower Hutt, Occ: Retired Farmer, AAOM 6029 47996, Date Filed: 20/1/1931, Will, Archives NZ, Wellington


Death Details
1912/2975, Ann Elizabeth Judd, Aged: 58Y

Hutt Valley Cemetery Records Ann Elizabeth Judd, Date: 20 Mar 1912, Christ Church Anglican, Taita, Monumental Inscription, Reference: 84
- Burial Record Elizabeth (sic) Judd, Date: 20 Mar 1912

Evening Post 21 March 1912
THE Friends of Mr. James Judd are respectfully invited to attend the Funeral of his late beloved Wife, Ann Elizabeth, which will leave his residence, on Saturday, 23rd March, 1912, at 2.15 p.m., for the Church of England Cemetery, Taita.
Undertaker, Lower Hutt
Evening Post 22 March 1912
JUDD.- An (sic) Queen''s-road, Lower Hutt, on 20th March, 1912, Ann Elizabeth, beloved wife of James Judd, aged 58 years. Wairarapa papers please copy

Wairarapa Daily Times 23 March 1912
The death occurred on Thursday, at Lower Hutt, of the wife of Mr A. S. (sic) Judd, of Carterton. Mrs Judd had resided in the Hutt district since her arrival in the old emigrant ship "Esterope (sic)," at the age of ten years, from Kent. She had brought up a family of eleven children, nine of whom are still living, and branches of the family are established throughout the Wairarapa, Taranaki and Upper Hutt. Mrs Judd had lived in retirement for the last eight years, and had been in failing health for six months. The funeral will take place at Lower Hutt today.

unsure if below related?

Hutt Valley Cemetery Records William Ralph (sic) Judd, Date: 29 Jun 1890, Christ Church Anglican, Taita, Monumental Inscription, Reference: 86

Evening Post 24 June 1929
A one-story dwelling situated in Naenae road, near Rata street, Lower Hutt was totally destroyed by fire on Saturday night. The Lower Hutt Fire Brigade was called to the fire, but the flames had a strong hold when the engine arrived on the scene, and in the absence of water nothing could be done to save the building. Mr. Robert Hannah was the owner, and Mr. Judd the occupier of the house.


Wellington Independent 8 August 1863
(From the Provincial Government Gazette)
Return of Lands sold and Seposits received in the Province of Wellington, from the 1st to 30 June 1863.
William Judd, Adjoining previous selection, Hutt district, 70 acres, 0 R, 0 P, Payment - cash 35 pounds, 0s, 0d
  • 1846 - Birth -
  • 24 DEC 1930 - Death -
James JUDD
1846 - 24 DEC 1930
Ann Unknown
1810 - 23 APR 1870
Family Group Sheet - Child
Marriageto Ann Unknown
Marriageto Unknown
PARENT (F) Ann Unknown
Death23 APR 1870
Marriageto William JUDD
MDavid Judd
Death10 SEP 1916
Marriage1878to Sarah Jane PARKER
Marriage20 AUG 1913to Elizabeth McIntyre
Death24 DEC 1930
Marriage1869to Ann Elizabeth Ralph
Marriage1853to Catherine Eddy Thomas
MStephen JUDD
Death29 JUN 1890
Marriage1863to Fanny Frances Kilmister
FHarriet JUDD
Birth6 JAN 1841Petone
Death17 MAR 1918
Marriage1857to Thomas Jackson
FHenrietta JUDD
Death23 APR 1928
Marriage1868to Robert Hall
FElizabeth JUDD
Death11 APR 1915
Marriage1869to James Kilmister
MGeorge JUDD
Death12 AUG 1934
Marriage1868to Mary Kilmister
FSarah Ann Judd
Death17 NOV 1931
Marriage1864to John Kilmister
Family Group Sheet - Spouse
Death24 DEC 1930
Marriage1869to Ann Elizabeth Ralph
FatherWilliam JUDD
MotherAnn Unknown
PARENT (F) Ann Elizabeth Ralph
Death20 MAR 1912
Marriage1869to James JUDD
FatherWilliam RALPH
MotherJane Unknown
Death10 SEP 1905
Marriage1898to Julia Davis
FLouise Jane JUDD
MHenry Herbert JUDD
MArthur Stanley JUDD
Marriage11 NOV 1919to Haven Daphne England
FLila May JUDD
Death10 SEP 1903
MWilfrid Charles JUDD
MErnest Reginold JUDD
MNorman Victor JUDD
FIrene Adeline Winifred JUDD
MRaymond Hector JUDD
FEmily Alice JUDD
Marriage24 JUN 1896to Phillip David Davis at St James Anglican Church, Lower Hutt
Descendancy Chart
James JUDD b: 1846 d: 24 DEC 1930
Ann Elizabeth Ralph d: 20 MAR 1912
James JUDD b: 1870 d: 10 SEP 1905
Louise Jane JUDD b: 1876
Arthur Stanley JUDD b: 1880 d: 1962
Haven Daphne England b: 1891 d: 1973
Lila May JUDD b: 1883 d: 10 SEP 1903
Emily Alice JUDD b: 1873
  • Top Surnames

    Unknown (118)
    Peck (69)
    Harris (63)
    Welch (61)
    Hooper (55)
    Hirst (52)
    Avery (51)
    August (48)
    Gaskin (44)
    Judd (41)
  • Wedding Venue Bookings

    To book a wedding email
    or phone Daphne Daysh 04 977 2055 or 027 687 2055