Person Index

Ebden, George

George Ebden
b: 1817
d: 20 OCT 1885
The Tyne sailed from London 25 March 1841 and arrived Wellington 9 August 1841.
Names as on passenger list
Roe (sic) Simon, Aged: 40, Agricultural Labourer
Roe (sic) Susannah, Aged: 39
Roe (sic) William, Aged: 20 Agricultural Labourer
Roe (sic) George, Aged: 18 Agricultural Labourer
Roe (sic) Samuel, Aged: 17, Agricultural Labourer
Roe (sic) Elizabeth, Aged: 17, Sempstress
Roe (sic) Simon, Aged: 15, Labourer
Roe (sic) Martha, Aged: 14, Sempstress

Note George''s mother remarried and the children are listed on the passenger list under her new married name.

New Zealand Spectator and Cook''s Strait Guardian 8 February 1845
LIST of all persons qualified to serve as Jurors for the District of Wellington, for the year 1845,
Ebdon (sic), George, River Hutt, Labourer
Ebdon (sic), Simon, River Hutt, Labourer
Ebdon (sic), William, Waiwatu River, Labourer

Wellington Independent 4 March 1846
In our last, we furnished the movement of the troops up to six o''clock on Tuesday evening. That evening a picket was thrown across the potatoe ground, the Maories being encamped on a plot of land across a creek, at the foot of a high hill thickly covered with bush. The natives followed the military custom by likewise having a line of pickets across the field. During the night the artillery under the command of Capt. Henderson, arrived on the ground, and by dint of great labour and perseverance, some field pieces and howitzers were conveyed to the camp. We cannot refrain from mentioning the characteristic zeal of the officers and blue jackets of the men of war, while assisting in dragging up the guns and ammunition.
On the following morning, Wednesday, affairs seemed approaching to a crisis. The natives refused to leave, demanding payment for their crops. His Excellency stated that quit they must, and as for compensation, he could not listen to it there, but they must bring it forward at their own place, Wanganui. His Excellency then gave the Maories till twelve o''clock, to consider whether they would depart, and if not, he informed them that they would be attacked immediately. By persuasion of Mr. Taylor, a Church Missionary, the natives made a semblance of departing, and marched into the bush. In consequence the artillery was brought down to the stockade near the bridge.
His Excellency, with Major Richmond, returned to town, and many were sanguine that affairs were settled in a peaceable and friendly manner. The military, when they left this place for the Hutt, expected to return the same evening, and did not therefore carry with them the necessary articles for a protracted stay. Owing also to the supposed settlement of the question, Captain Eyton was ordered over to Wellington, on Thursday morning, with the Grenadier company of the 96th, and Capt. Hardy with 76 men of the 58th.
Early on Thursday morning, Major Last discovered eight or nine armed natives on the ground which the main body of their countrymen occupied the proceeding day: who made an excuse that they were searching far trinkets. It is more than probable that they were acting as a look-out, upon the military. Major Last, ordered some men who had been employed by the authorities, to commence a road from Mr. Boulcott''s house to the camp. There is now an excellent road for carts up to the camp, thanks to Col. Hulme, and Major Last By the directions of the last officer, the ground has been cleared for the space of about 300 square feet, tents erected, logs thrown up for a breastwork, and preparations commenced for erecting a block-house, in which, we believe, it is intended to station 150 men. In the evening a party of the natives carried off a fine pig the property of a man named Sennox, striking the owner of the animal on the leg with the back part of a towahawk, and snapping a gun in his face. A second party entered the house of a man named Leverton (sic), and carried off a gun, whilst a third party robbed the warre (sic) of a man named Giles. In consequence of these outrages, a party of settlers remained up armed during the night to protect their property.
During Friday, the natives threatened the life of every settler in the district, in case one of their party was shot. They also threatened to pillage the houses of the settlers.
On Saturday, Captain Eyton returned to the Hutt, with 42 of the 96th; and Major Arney, with 94 of the 58th, and 73 of the 99th. Major Arney of the 58th relieving the commanding officer, Major Last.
On Sunday, March 1, the natives carried out their threats by pillaging the unfortunate settlers on a most extensive scale. The robberies on the Waiwatu were perpetrated in the earlier part of the day by from fifty to one hundred men of the Taupo tribe, whilst those on the Hutt were the acts of about one hundred of the Ngatirangatahi. F. Pare, the chief and subservient tool of Rangihaeata, is notonous for having butchered five of the unfortunates who fell at Wairau. One of the settlers, irritated at the loss of his property drew a sword upon a native who merely imitated the notes of the kaka, when he was joined by numbers who came from the bush, and the white man was compelled to fly for his life.
The following is a correct list of the Europeans who have been robbed of all they possessed:-
Francis Whiteman, and three adults.
John Russell, wife, and one child.
James Swan and brother.
William Leckie, and William Parker, and one child.
John Dounie, wife, and four children.
William Ebden, mother, brother, and servant, and three children.
John Jackson, and wife.
James Holmes, wife, and five children.
William Thomas, wife, and five children.
James McEwen, wife, and three children.
David Galloway, wife, and three children.
David McEwen, wife, mother, and three children.
William Tannahill, wife, and three children.
Charles Collis, wife, and two children.
Robert Fairweather, wife, and five children.
Thomas Hughes, wife, and four children.
Samuel Burnett, wife, brother, and five children.
John Sutherland, wife, and three children.
Thomas Reid, wife, and one child.
Total forty-four adults, and fifty-one children,
Thus ninety-six individuals, men, women, and children, were stripped of all they possessed on Sunday.
About 12 o''clock at night a deputation from the unfortunate men waited upon His Excellency Captain Grey in Wellington, and laid before him their grievances. His Excellency promised to see into the case as early as possible, and took the depositions of the men with his own hands. Monday, March 2. Various rumours of a conflicting nature were were rife in town. The out-settler, who had not been robbed, terrified at the idea of losing their property, began to remove their most valuable articles to a place of safety. About 80 more troops were ordered for the Hutt, and it was generally understood that martial law was to be proclaimed. In the afternoon a detachment of the troops were sent up the Waiwatu. A native threw a spear at one of the 96th, ripping up the sleeve of his jacket, and tearing the flesh on his arm. In the afternoon, another body of military departed from town for the Hutt.
Tuesday, March 3. At daybreak, the natives commenced firing on the grenadier company of the 96th, under the command of Capt. Eyton, who were stationed some distance from the camp. Capt. Eyton''s party returned the fire in a most spirited manner, and compelled the natives after some time to retire, with what loss cannot be ascertained. At the same time, a party of natives in the bush commenced firing on the encampment, but without inflicting any injury.
A despatch arrived in town about 11 o''clock, when his Excellency ordered H.M. Steamer DRIVER to prepare to receive bodies of troops to take over to the Hutt. 50 of the 58th, 20 of the 96th, and 30 of the 99th, under the command of Lieutenant Barclay, were conveyed on board by half-past one, and at 2 o''clock the DRIVER weighed anchor, and steamed over to Petoni. In the afternoon, his Excellency Captain Grey, following Up that energetic line of policy which has characterized his proceedings to the present time, proclaimed the district lying to the south of Wainui in Cook''s Straits, to Castle Point on the East Coast, under Martial Law. Toward the afternoon, a party of natives drove a man name Cole from his land on the Waiwatu, and took possession of his goods. Fifty Volunteers were embodied, under the command of Mr. Watt, and in conjunction with thirty military, were thrown out to endeavour to cut off the plunderers from the main body. Between four and five o''clock yesterday evening, a heavy firing, as if of continuous volleys of musketry, was heard by parties at the Kora Kora, who were returning to Wellington.
The Commandant, Colonel Hulme, and Brigade Major McLerie, both returned to the Hutt yesterday afternoon. Major Last, of the 99th regt., with two hundred men under him, has been left in command at Wellington. Captain Graham, of H.M.S. Castor, likewise placed the blue jackets, small arm men, and marines, at his disposal if necessary. Major Last took the most effective and vigorous measures, last night, to ensure the safety of the town. A party of thirty men were stationed at the brick barracks at the brick barracks at Tiakiwai, with orders to protect the road, and keep up a constant communication with the barracks on Thorndon Flat. A second party was ordered to carry on the communication to the barracks on Lambton Quay, whilst other parties received orders to peramulate from Te Aro Pah to the same place. Strict injunctions were likewise given to all the pickets to prevent any native crossing their lines after dark.
So far, every measure of precaution was carried out, and acted upon.
A guard was likewise stationed at the residence of his Excellency.
The settlers along the Porirua road, generally, are described as being in a state of great anxiety and fear, owing to the fact of Ranghiaeata having threatened to destroy every white man within his reach, provided a Maori was killed. Many of the Porirua settlers have sent their wives and families into Wellington. Yesterday, C. Clifford, Esq., J P., departed for that district, taking with him a quantity of arms and ammunition for the use of the settlers, and with the intention of remaining on the spot to cheer them with his presence.

Marriage Details
1843/472, Bride: Susan Worsell, Groom: George Ebden

Evening Post 3 May 1898
ANY Persons found Trepassing on our Properties at Belmont and Haywards with dog or gun will be prosecuted.
S. Death
James Judd
W. M. Stack
E. J. Judd
W. & G. Ebden
R. J. Kells
- unsure if correct G Ebden

Evening Post 10 February 1887
Wellington District Road Board Office,
Hutt, 9th February, 1887.
TENDERS, addressed to the undersigned, will be received at this office up to noon of Tuesday, the 15th February instant, for the Widening of about 25 chains of Road, known as "Ebden''s Road," near Hayward''s Station.
Specifications can be seen at the house of Mr. Stephen Judd, near Hayward''s.
Clerk Wellington District Road Board.

Evening POst 5 July 1887
WANTED, three good Bushfellers. Aplly to W. Ebden, Hayward''s Station.

Hutt Valley Cemetery Record George Ebden, Date: 20 Oct 1885, Christ Church Anglican, Taita, Burial Records

Evening Post 20 October 1885
EBDEN.- On 20th October, at the Western Hutt, George Ebden, aged 68 years
THE Friends of the late Mr. GEORGE EBDEN are respectfully invited to attend his Funeral, which will leave his late residence, at the Western Hutt, at noon on THURSDAY, the 22nd, arriving at the Taita church at 3 o''çlock same day.

Probate George Ebden, Place: Western Hutt, Occ: Farmer, Date of Death: 20/10/1885, AAOM 6029 2498, Filed: 17/12/1885, Will, Archives NZ, Wellington


Death Details
1894/5922, Susan Ebden, Aged: 64Y - Date of Death 21/10/1894 from Death Registration

Hutt Valley Cemetery Record Susan Ebden, Date: 21 Oct 1894, Christ Church Anglican, Taita, Burial Records

Evening Post 23 October 1894
EBDEN.- On the 21st October, 1894, at Hayward''s, Susan, the beloved wife of the late George Ebden, aged 64 years; deeply regretted.
THE Friends of the late Mrs. George Ebden are respectfully invited to attend her Funeral, which will leave her late residence, Haywards, on Thursday afternoon at 12.30, for the Taita Cemetery.
Undertakers, Lower Hutt and Petone.
  • 1817 - Birth -
  • 20 OCT 1885 - Death -
George Ebden
1817 - 20 OCT 1885
Family Group Sheet - Child
PARENT (M) Ebden
Marriageto ?
MGeorge Ebden
Death20 OCT 1885
Marriage1843to Susan Worsell
MWilliam Ebden
MSamuel Ebden
Family Group Sheet - Spouse
PARENT (M) George Ebden
Death20 OCT 1885
Marriage1843to Susan Worsell
PARENT (F) Susan Worsell
Death21 OCT 1894
Marriage1843to George Ebden
FHannah Ebden
Death11 APR 1882
MJoel Ebden
Death17 FEB 1878
MWilliam Ebden
Death26 MAR 1910
MEdward George Ebden
FEllen Maude Ebden
MJames Ebden
Death17 AUG 1924
FSusan Ann Ebden
Death26 OCT 1932
Marriage14 FEB 1887to John Eades
FMartha Elizabeth Ebden
FMary Jane Ebden
Death6 SEP 1918
Marriage1872to Richard Prouse
FEsther Ebden
Death8 OCT 1902
Descendancy Chart
George Ebden b: 1817 d: 20 OCT 1885
Susan Worsell b: 1830 d: 21 OCT 1894
Hannah Ebden b: 1855 d: 11 APR 1882
Joel Ebden b: 1851 d: 17 FEB 1878
William Ebden b: 1857 d: 26 MAR 1910
James Ebden b: 1861 d: 17 AUG 1924
Susan Ann Ebden b: 1864 d: 26 OCT 1932
John Eades b: 1852 d: 24 JUN 1927
Mary Jane Ebden b: 1850 d: 6 SEP 1918
Esther Ebden b: 1868 d: 8 OCT 1902
  • Top Surnames

    Unknown (118)
    Peck (69)
    Harris (63)
    Welch (61)
    Hooper (55)
    Hirst (52)
    Avery (51)
    August (48)
    Gaskin (44)
    Judd (41)
  • Wedding Venue Bookings

    To book a wedding email
    or phone Daphne Daysh 04 977 2055 or 027 687 2055