Person Index

Clere, Henry

Henry Clere
b: 1818
d: 29 JUN 1887
Free BMD Records show Date Marriage Registered March 1849, District: Stockport, Names: Henry Cleare (sic) and Ellen Vaughan, Volume: 19, Page: 222
- The district Stockport spans the boundaries of the counties of Cheshire and Lancashire

Evening Post 21 November 1877
The New Zealand Shipping Company''s ship Hurunui, which left London on the 5th September for Wellington, brings the following passengers:- Saloon - Rev. H. Clere, Mrs. Clere, Miss Martha Clere, Mr. F. Clere, Miss Harriet (sic) Clere, Miss Katherine (sic) Clere,

West Coast Times 7 February 1878
An authoress of some note has arrived in Wellington, in the person of Mrs Clere. She has written several books, most of them being on biblical subjects. She intends to reside permanently in Wellington, and her books, which have first been issued from the London press, will shortly be on sale at the principal booksellers shops there.

Death Details
1885/5679, Ellen Clere, Aged: 63Y - Date of Death 23/10/1885 from Death Registration

New Plymouth District Council Cemetery Records
Surname: CLERE
Forenames: Ellen
Last Address:-
Age at Death: 63 Years
Date of Death: 23 Oct 1885
Category: Burial
Funeral Director: Not Available
Date of Burial: 26 Oct 1885
Cemetery: TE HENUI
Location in Cemetery: Anglican Row 7 - Lot 26 Plot 1

Taranaki Herald 26 October 1885
Seldom have we to chronicle the death of a person who has been living in our midst more widely known than Mrs. Clere. In the religious world her books, which were written some years ago, had a large circulation, and we feel that rather more than a passing notice should be taken of her loss. Those that had Mrs. Clere''s personal acquaintance knew her to be a remarkable lady. Her life was one of devotion to others. In her youth she was the attached and constant attendant to an invalid sister, and in her womanhood her unselfish devotion to her family and other duties was marked by all. It is, however, in her writings that her individuality is felt. Her first book, "The Colonel''s Daughter?," written in order to raise money for a church building, soon ran through two editions, and the third, which was published some years after the first two, is now out of print. Her next book, "The Apostles of Jesus," has become so far a standard work as to be placed upon the Christian Knowledge Society''s list. It has reached its fifth edition, and, as the London Standard said of it, is written in plain words marked by simplicity, devoutness, and good sense." Bethlehem''s Three Mothers" (Naomi, Ruth, and Mary), which was published the year after the last named book, was very well received by the press and by the public. This work was succeeded by "Katherine Gordon," and this again by "The Latter Days of Judah, and her Fall," a book which, perhaps, we can best notice by an extract from Public Opinion, which says:- Mrs. Clere, in her recent work, "The Latter Days of Judah, and her Fall," following the example of her earlier and successful books, presents the reader with a picturesque narrative of the fall of the Kingdom of Judah, embracing in detail the life and times of the prophet Jeremiah. The Biblical account is enlarged, and all its allusions exemplified in the most charming manner, the authoress vividly exhibiting the incidents of her story faithfully." We learn from a private source that this book, which coat considerable study and a large amount of research, was meant by the authoress to be simply an introduction to a larger and more important work on the Jewish exiles in Babylon, and for which she had made considerable preparation; but failing health and the increased attention to domestic duties, demanded by the exigencies of life in this colony (to which Mrs. Clere came in December, 1877), prevented the carrying out of the idea.
Mrs. Clere was the daughter of the late Mr. John Vaughan, the head of the firm of Vaughan, Lingard and Vaughan, solicitors, of Stockport, Manchester, and London, and who was for many years Town Clerk of the first named place.

Feilding Star 27 October 1885
CLERE.- On the 23rd inst., at New Plymouth, aged 63, Ellen, the wife of the Revd. Henry Clere, Vicar of Tickenham, Somersetshire.


Death Details
1887/3356, Henry Clere, Aged: 69Y - Date of Death 29/6/1887 from Death Registration

New Plymouth District Council Cemetery Records
Surname: CLERE
Forenames: Henry
Last Address: Not Available
Age at Death: 69 Years
Date of Death: Not recorded
Category: Burial
Funeral Director: Not Available
Date of Burial: 2 Jul 1887
Cemetery: TE HENUI
Location in Cemetery: Anglican Row 7 - Lot 26 Plot 1

Hawera & Normanby Star 29 June 1887
We regret having to record that this morning at an early hour the Rev. Henry Clere committed suicide by hanging himself at the Hawera parsonage, where, by the invitation of the Rev. W. H. Root, he had been staying for some days past. The deceased gentleman came into Hawera on Thursday afternoon last from his son-in-law''s farm at Pihama, for the purpose of taking rooms at the cottage hospital. He stated that he had been suffering very severely for some time past with head trouble, and that, in fact, he had at times felt his mind going; and he wanted quiet and attention and would like to try what a few days in the cottage hospital would do for him. A friend upon whom he called arranged that he should stay in the hospital for the night, and that next day efforts should be made to get rooms for him in a quiet household. Next day he went to the parsonage as the guest of the Rev. Mr. Root, pending further arrangements. During his stay there he appeared to be greatly troubled in his mind and some of his actions were peculiar, but he ate well and slept well, and on Tuesday evening was unusually cheerful. He was seen comfortably into bed between ten and eleven, but, on Mr. Root taking breakfast into the room at about eight o''clock this morning he was horrified to find that his guest had committed suicide by hanging himself to one of the posts of the bed. There were indications that the act had been recently done, but life had completely fled. An inquest on the body was to take place at three o''clock this afternoon. Deceased, who was 69 years of age, was Vicar of Twickenham, Somersetshire, and, we believe, held the benefice up to the time of his death, though, owing to ill health, he had retired from active work many years since. He had resided successively at Wellington, New Plymouth, and Pihama, since his arrival in the colony, always having been a sufferer more or less acutely from nervous disorder. While resident in New Plymouth, he lost his wife. He leaves two sons and three daughters.

Hawera & Normanby Star 30 June 1887
Suicide of the Rev. H. Clere.
An inquest touching the death of the Rev. Henry Clere, was held at the Courthouse on Wednesday, before C. A. Wray, Esq., Coroner, and the following jury Messrs. Laishley, W. G. White, Meikle, J. S. Adams, O''Dea, and W. Clarke.
The body having been viewed, the following evidence was taken:-
William Alfred Parkinson - I have known the deceased, Rev. Henry Clere, for the past four or five years, or perhaps a little longer he was a clergyman of the Church of England, and held the living of Tickenham, Somersetshire; lately he has resided with his son-in-law, Mr. Willans on a farm at Pihama; on Thursday last he was driven up to the Star Office, and when I went out to see him he said that he was very ill and wished to go into the cottage hospital it was a cold, wet day, and I at once jumped into his carriage and had him driven to the hospital; when we had driven there, I found, in answer to enquiries, that Mr. Clere was not suffering from any specific disease, so far as he knew, but he stated that he was suffering from the "old thing." In Wellington and New Plymouth I had known him for years to be suffering from a nervous disorder; he spoke of his "poor head," and said that he had felt his mind going, and that he wanted to get into a quiet place, but did not want a doctor or medicine. I explained that the cottage hospital was scarcely the place for him, but though that as he was there he had better stay the night, and next day other arrangements could be made to get him a quiet place; I promised him I would Consult with Rev. Mr. Root in reference to the matter. I communicated with Mr. Root and next morning early deceased went to the parsonage and remained there till his death. The last time I saw him was on Sunday evening about 8 at the parsonage. He then seemed better, more cheerful than when he had come down. He was peculiar in his manners, as he always had been so far as I knew him; he was often depressed, and frequently said he was going to die; he generally stayed at my house when passing through Hawera, and on one occasion he said he thought he should have died during the night. He was 69 years of age, and had a family of five three daughters, all residing in the colony and married, and two sons, one of whom is now in England.
To Sergeant Anderson - When he came to me he complained of the noise at his son-in-law''s house; he seemed depressed, but he never said anything to me as to his financial position, and I know nothing of it. I should not have imagined him likely to commit suicide while of sound mind.
Sarah Hughes, nurse, said - I remember deceased coming to the cottage hospital; he asked if he could stay there for a short time; he spoke of being lonely where he had been living, especially now that his wife was dead; he said he was not badly ill, but that his head was bad and he needed quiet he was restless al night, and wandering, and saying he wished he were with his wife and all trouble would be over; though there was a cold wind and rain all night, he insisted on having the window open, for he complained of being suffocated and unable to breathe; he ate well while in the hospital but I do not think he slept well I saw him three times during the night; Rev Mr. Root visited him on the evening of his arrival, and next day he went away with Mr. Root, and I saw him again no more until he was dead.
Rev. W. H. Root - I saw deceased al the cottage hospital on Thursday afternoon, looking very fatigued, I thought he told me he had left Pihama, and did not know where to go we had a talk and I went away and returned to the hospital in the evening, when we discussed his future movements he said he did not know what he was going to do I suggested his going to various members of his family, or to New Plymouth, where he would be near his doctor, Dr. Gibbes, but he said he would not go to either of those places, but would prefer coming to the parsonage, where he would be quiet. On Friday morning I told him he might come to the parsonage until I could communicate with his friends; he went over with me, and has been staying there ever since; he was very restless and fidgety all day Friday, and on Saturday morning he said he had had a very restless night indeed, not having fallen asleep till day break. On Saturday I suggested that we should take a walk, and he did so; he seemed cheerful and bright, and told me all about his affairs; I suggested that I should write to his friends, and he consented. I wrote to his son in Wellington, to his son-in-law, Mr. Freere, of Waverley, whom I asked to come up, and also to Dr. Gibbes, his old medical attendant, but he would not allow me to send the letter to doctor, as he wanted no medicine Mr. Freere came up on the Monday, but nothing was settled. On Tuesday morning very early I was aroused by a great knocking, and I found it came from Mr. Clere''s room. I went to him, and found him excited and looking very strange. He said he was going to die; he wanted to add a codicil to his will, and he requested me to get a pen and paper. I wrote at his dictation. He seemed unable to comprehend, and I read the codicil two or three times before he understood it. He did understand it, for he made several corrections. Later in the day he got up and ate well, and then re-wrote the codicil and signed it in proper form. In the evening we discussed his future, and it was arranged that he should stop with us on his own terms; he expressed himself satisfied, and said he felt happier than he had done for months, that a great load was lifted off his mind; about half-past ten he went to bed I went in to see him comfortable for the night, and prayed with him at his request; then I left him. On Wednesday morning about eight I went into his room with breakfast, and found that the bed was empty, and that he was lying at the foot of the bed; I found, on further examination, that he was dead; that his scarf was tied to a bed-post at one end, and the other end encircled his neck. The left leg was lying parallel with the side of the bed, and the other leg was lying bent under him; the weight of his body was on the scarf; he was quite warm, and the bed on which he had laid was warm; I cut the scarf, and sent for the doctor, and tried to restore animation, but it was useless; Drs. Chilton and Alexander came, but could do nothing. Deceased had shown fits of abstraction, and seemed easily excited; he had on Tuesday received a letter from his son-in-law, Mr. Willans, about ordinary matters, which made him excited, but there was nothing in it to justify the excitement; he showed me the letter; (telegram was produced from Dr. Gibbes to witness, stating that he had informed Mr. Willans that deceased had presented symptoms of softening of the brain); I have no doubt that he was of unsound mind when he committed the act; I understand that he was in easy circumstances financially, but farming operations had not been successful; he said that he did not wish to go to his childrens'' houses because they all had young families, and the noise distracted him.
Dr. Chilton gave evidence, and stated his opinion that death had been caused by suffocation, probably accelerated by effusion of blood at the base of the brain owing to the tightness of the ligature round the blood vessels in the neck. There was no fracture of the vertebrae. He believed that the act had been committed an hour and a half or two hours before he saw the body.
Sergeant Anderson gave formal evidence.
John Murray Gibbes, duly qualified medical practitioner, residing at New Plymouth - I have been acquainted with deceased for the last four or five years and have attended him professionally. He came from Wellington to New Plymouth, suffering from utter nervous prostration; he had been unable to follow his clerical duties for 25 years I think, owing to symptoms of irritation of the brain; I attended him regularly for four or five months, when he seemed for a time to have regained his ordinary health, but not sufficiently to undertake clerical duties; he also suffered from affection of the spinal column, which caused him great agony at times, the least excitement causing great mental depression and irritability. He continued in good health until a short time back, when he returned from Wellington after a visit. On June 4th he wrote me a letter stating that he was fearfully prostrated and suffered from great nervous depression; he stated that he did not think he had long to live, and requested me to make the necessary arrangements for his funeral, stating that if I did so I should confer a favor on a dying man; I considered his condition grave when I read that letter, and I requested him to come into New Plymouth at once; he replied immediately that he felt better; I considered, on receiving his letter, that his mind was unevenly balanced, owing to his nervous depression. After the death of his wife, who had waited on his every movement, he seemed unable to remain in any one place for any length of time; I told Mr. Willans, his son-in -law, a fortnight ago that deceased should be removed from Pihama, and on Saturday last I told him I believed that softening of the brain was in progress; I advised, on Saturday, that his son in Wellington should be written to, so that arrangements might be made for his care in future, but as he was at Mr. Root''s I thought there was no hurry for a day or two as he would be quiet there. I do not consider he was responsible for his action. He held an English living, but did so not for the sake of the stipend, but because he had a clergyman, a friend, in his place who liked the work, and who was liked and who drew most of the stipend; whereas, if Mr. Clere had resigned, this gentleman would have had to give place to a fresh nominee of the Bishop of the Diocese. Witness stated in further evidence that he had no doubt the mind had suddenly become unhinged, and the act, quite unpremeditated, had been done. Naturally, deceased would have recoiled from such an act. He was a timid man, physically, and he was a sincere Christian, not at all likely to contemplate such an act. The whole of his history showed that it was the brain that was weak. He seems to have been extremely anxious lately about his financial affairs, though I am informed by his family that there was not the slightest occasion for it. I understand he was in I comfortable circumstances.
The jury found that deceased committed suicide while in a state of insanity.

Probate Henry Clere, Place: Pihama, Occ: Clerk Holy Ord, Date of Death: 29/6/1887, ABAJ W4079 230, Filed: 26/8/1887, Will, Archives NZ, Wellington
  • 1818 - Birth -
  • 29 JUN 1887 - Death -
Henry Clere
1818 - 29 JUN 1887
Family Group Sheet - Child
MHenry Clere
Death29 JUN 1887
Marriage1849to Ellen Vaughan
Family Group Sheet - Spouse
PARENT (M) Henry Clere
Death29 JUN 1887
Marriage1849to Ellen Vaughan
PARENT (F) Ellen Vaughan
Death23 OCT 1885
Marriage1849to Henry Clere
FKatharine Vaughan Clere
Death24 OCT 1938
Marriage5 APR 1886to Harry Walter Willans
FHarriett Henrietta Vaughan Clere
Marriage7 APR 1886to Temple Frere
FMartha Louisa Clere
Death1 SEP 1935
Marriage5 FEB 1880to John Welsby at St Pauls Pro Cathedral, Wellington
MFrederick De Jersey Clere
Death13 AUG 1952
Marriage18 APR 1883to Mary Goodbehere at St John''s Church, Feilding
Marriage17 OCT 1905to Elizabeth Johnston Ingles at St Pauls Pro Cathedral, Wellington
Descendancy Chart
Henry Clere b: 1818 d: 29 JUN 1887
Ellen Vaughan b: 1822 d: 23 OCT 1885
Katharine Vaughan Clere b: 1861 d: 24 OCT 1938
Harry Walter Willans b: 1862 d: 30 OCT 1953
Martha Louisa Clere b: 1851 d: 1 SEP 1935
John Welsby b: 1851 d: 10 AUG 1920
Frederick De Jersey Clere b: 1856 d: 13 AUG 1952
Mary Goodbehere b: 1857 d: 8 APR 1904
Margaret Vaughan Clere b: 1897 d: 23 MAR 1958
Edmund Herbert de Jersey Clere b: 1884 d: 12 JAN 1967
Beatrice Alice Porter b: 1888 d: 2 NOV 1936
Brian De Jersey Clere b: 1916 d: 18 MAY 1937
Adrian De Jersey Clere b: 1918 d: 26 SEP 2000
Montagu De Jersey Clere b: 1924 d: 27 SEP 1998
Joyce Mary Clere b: 1913 d: 30 NOV 1999
Alexander Duncan Dick Cameron b: 1903 d: 26 AUG 1987
Sydney Brandon b: 1901 d: 9 SEP 1982
Katherine Ellen Clere b: 1886 d: 23 OCT 1969
Frederick Temple Clere b: 1890 d: 20 AUG 1976
Florence Winifred Cooke b: 1889 d: 9 OCT 1976
Mary Edith De Jersey Clere b: 1894 d: 21 SEP 1936
Arthur James Luke b: 1884 d: 19 JUL 1954
Elizabeth Johnston Ingles b: 1878 d: 9 SEP 1920
Nancy Olivia De Jersey Clere b: 1907 d: 2 NOV 1975
Gordon Francis Rich b: 1902 d: 19 MAR 1980
Ruth Ingles De Jersey Clere b: 1911 d: 8 MAY 1993
Arthur Bryan Gold b: 1903 d: 26 JUN 1993
  • Top Surnames

    Unknown (118)
    Peck (69)
    Harris (63)
    Welch (61)
    Hooper (55)
    Hirst (52)
    Avery (51)
    August (48)
    Gaskin (44)
    Judd (41)
  • Wedding Venue Bookings

    To book a wedding email
    or phone Daphne Daysh 04 977 2055 or 027 687 2055