Person Index

Avery, Ann

Ann Avery
b: 1827
d: 2 OCT 1906
Bolton sailed from London 19 November 1839 and arrived 30 April 1840
Names as shown on passenger list
Thomas Avery, Aged: 37, Agricultural Labourer
Elizabeth Avery, Aged: 40
Harriet Avery, Aged: 18, Sempstress
George Avery, Aged: 16, Agricultural Labourer
Charles Avery, Aged: 14
Ann Avery, Aged: 11
Mary Avery, Aged: 9
Sarah Avery, Aged: 7
Ellen Avery, Aged: 5
Stephen Avery, Aged: 2

unsure if correct Hulme?
Wellington Independent 4 March 1846
In our last, we furnished the movement of the troops up to six o''clock on Tuesday evening. That evening a picket was thrown across the potatoe ground, the Maories being encamped on a plot of land across a creek, at the foot of a high hill thickly covered with bush. The natives followed the military custom by likewise having a line of pickets across the field. During the night the artillery under the command of Capt. Henderson, arrived on the ground, and by dint of great labour and perseverance, some field pieces and howitzers were conveyed to the camp. We cannot refrain from mentioning the characteristic zeal of the officers and blue jackets of the men of war, while assisting in dragging up the guns and ammunition.
On the following morning, Wednesday, affairs seemed approaching to a crisis. The natives refused to leave, demanding payment for their crops. His Excellency stated that quit they must, and as for compensation, he could not listen to it there, but they must bring it forward at their own place, Wanganui. His Excellency then gave the Maories till twelve o''clock, to consider whether they would depart, and if not, he informed them that they would be attacked immediately. By persuasion of Mr. Taylor, a Church Missionary, the natives made a semblance of departing, and marched into the bush. In consequence the artillery was brought down to the stockade near the bridge.
His Excellency, with Major Richmond, returned to town, and many were sanguine that affairs were settled in a peaceable and friendly manner. The military, when they left this place for the Hutt, expected to return the same evening, and did not therefore carry with them the necessary articles for a protracted stay. Owing also to the supposed settlement of the question, Captain Eyton was ordered over to Wellington, on Thursday morning, with the Grenadier company of the 96th, and Capt. Hardy with 76 men of the 58th.
Early on Thursday morning, Major Last discovered eight or nine armed natives on the ground which the main body of their countrymen occupied the proceeding day: who made an excuse that they were searching far trinkets. It is more than probable that they were acting as a look-out, upon the military. Major Last, ordered some men who had been employed by the authorities, to commence a road from Mr. Boulcott''s house to the camp. There is now an excellent road for carts up to the camp, thanks to Col. Hulme, and Major Last By the directions of the last officer, the ground has been cleared for the space of about 300 square feet, tents erected, logs thrown up for a breastwork, and preparations commenced for erecting a block-house, in which, we believe, it is intended to station 150 men. In the evening a party of the natives carried off a fine pig the property of a man named Sennox, striking the owner of the animal on the leg with the back part of a towahawk, and snapping a gun in his face. A second party entered the house of a man named Leverton (sic), and carried off a gun, whilst a third party robbed the warre (sic) of a man named Giles. In consequence of these outrages, a party of settlers remained up armed during the night to protect their property.
During Friday, the natives threatened the life of every settler in the district, in case one of their party was shot. They also threatened to pillage the houses of the settlers.
On Saturday, Captain Eyton returned to the Hutt, with 42 of the 96th; and Major Arney, with 94 of the 58th, and 73 of the 99th. Major Arney of the 58th relieving the commanding officer, Major Last.
On Sunday, March 1, the natives carried out their threats by pillaging the unfortunate settlers on a most extensive scale. The robberies on the Waiwatu were perpetrated in the earlier part of the day by from fifty to one hundred men of the Taupo tribe, whilst those on the Hutt were the acts of about one hundred of the Ngatirangatahi. F. Pare, the chief and subservient tool of Rangihaeata, is notonous for having butchered five of the unfortunates who fell at Wairau. One of the settlers, irritated at the loss of his property drew a sword upon a native who merely imitated the notes of the kaka, when he was joined by numbers who came from the bush, and the white man was compelled to fly for his life.
The following is a correct list of the Europeans who have been robbed of all they possessed:-
Francis Whiteman, and three adults.
John Russell, wife, and one child.
James Swan and brother.
William Leckie, and William Parker, and one child.
John Dounie, wife, and four children.
William Ebden, mother, brother, and servant, and three children.
John Jackson, and wife.
James Holmes, wife, and five children.
William Thomas, wife, and five children.
James McEwen, wife, and three children.
David Galloway, wife, and three children.
David McEwen, wife, mother, and three children.
William Tannahill, wife, and three children.
Charles Collis, wife, and two children.
Robert Fairweather, wife, and five children.
Thomas Hughes, wife, and four children.
Samuel Burnett, wife, brother, and five children.
John Sutherland, wife, and three children.
Thomas Reid, wife, and one child.
Total forty-four adults, and fifty-one children,
Thus ninety-six individuals, men, women, and children, were stripped of all they possessed on Sunday.
About 12 o''clock at night a deputation from the unfortunate men waited upon His Excellency Captain Grey in Wellington, and laid before him their grievances. His Excellency promised to see into the case as early as possible, and took the depositions of the men with his own hands. Monday, March 2. Various rumours of a conflicting nature were were rife in town. The out-settler, who had not been robbed, terrified at the idea of losing their property, began to remove their most valuable articles to a place of safety. About 80 more troops were ordered for the Hutt, and it was generally understood that martial law was to be proclaimed. In the afternoon a detachment of the troops were sent up the Waiwatu. A native threw a spear at one of the 96th, ripping up the sleeve of his jacket, and tearing the flesh on his arm. In the afternoon, another body of military departed from town for the Hutt.
Tuesday, March 3. At daybreak, the natives commenced firing on the grenadier company of the 96th, under the command of Capt. Eyton, who were stationed some distance from the camp. Capt. Eyton''s party returned the fire in a most spirited manner, and compelled the natives after some time to retire, with what loss cannot be ascertained. At the same time, a party of natives in the bush commenced firing on the encampment, but without inflicting any injury.
A despatch arrived in town about 11 o''clock, when his Excellency ordered H.M. Steamer DRIVER to prepare to receive bodies of troops to take over to the Hutt. 50 of the 58th, 20 of the 96th, and 30 of the 99th, under the command of Lieutenant Barclay, were conveyed on board by half-past one, and at 2 o''clock the DRIVER weighed anchor, and steamed over to Petoni. In the afternoon, his Excellency Captain Grey, following Up that energetic line of policy which has characterized his proceedings to the present time, proclaimed the district lying to the south of Wainui in Cook''s Straits, to Castle Point on the East Coast, under Martial Law. Toward the afternoon, a party of natives drove a man name Cole from his land on the Waiwatu, and took possession of his goods. Fifty Volunteers were embodied, under the command of Mr. Watt, and in conjunction with thirty military, were thrown out to endeavour to cut off the plunderers from the main body. Between four and five o''clock yesterday evening, a heavy firing, as if of continuous volleys of musketry, was heard by parties at the Kora Kora, who were returning to Wellington.
The Commandant, Colonel Hulme, and Brigade Major McLerie, both returned to the Hutt yesterday afternoon. Major Last, of the 99th regt., with two hundred men under him, has been left in command at Wellington. Captain Graham, of H.M.S. Castor, likewise placed the blue jackets, small arm men, and marines, at his disposal if necessary. Major Last took the most effective and vigorous measures, last night, to ensure the safety of the town. A party of thirty men were stationed at the brick barracks at the brick barracks at Tiakiwai, with orders to protect the road, and keep up a constant communication with the barracks on Thorndon Flat. A second party was ordered to carry on the communication to the barracks on Lambton Quay, whilst other parties received orders to peramulate from Te Aro Pah to the same place. Strict injunctions were likewise given to all the pickets to prevent any native crossing their lines after dark.
So far, every measure of precaution was carried out, and acted upon.
A guard was likewise stationed at the residence of his Excellency.
The settlers along the Porirua road, generally, are described as being in a state of great anxiety and fear, owing to the fact of Ranghiaeata having threatened to destroy every white man within his reach, provided a Maori was killed. Many of the Porirua settlers have sent their wives and families into Wellington. Yesterday, C. Clifford, Esq., J P., departed for that district, taking with him a quantity of arms and ammunition for the use of the settlers, and with the intention of remaining on the spot to cheer them with his presence.

Marriage Details
1847/19, Bride: Ann Avory (sic), Groom: Peter Hume

Death Details
1892/4850, Peter Hume, Aged: 82Y - Date of Death 15/11/1892 from Death Registration

Evening Post 7 January 1869
Mr. Peter Hume, an old and well known Wairarapa settler, has also met with an accident, and broken three of his ribs.

Evening Post 22 February 1890
Accidents and Fatalities.
[By Telegraph.]
(Our Own Correspondent.)
Greytown North, This Day.
The wife of Mr. Peter Hume, of the Lower Valley, was driving home from the races, yesterday, when the horses bolted and the buggy overturned. Mrs. Hume''s collar bone is broken, and other injuries of a slight nature have been sustained. She is now at Dr. Smith''s, of Greytown.

Evening Post 15 November 1892
[By Telegraph.]
(Our Our Correspondent.)
Greytown North. This Day.
News has just come from the Lower Valley that Mr. Peter Hume, an old settler, has departed this life, aged 82. He died this morning at 7 o''clock, and will be buried at Greytown on Thursday, at 3 o''clock

Probate Peter Hume, Place: Tuanui, Wairarapa, Occ: Farmer, Date of Death: 15/11/1892, AAOM 6029 4039, Filed: 25/11/1892, Will, Archives NZ, Wellington


Death Details
1906/6654, Ann Hume, Aged: 79Y - Date of Death 2/10/1906 from Death Registration

Evening Post 3 October 1906
HUME.- On Tuesday, 2nd October, at Otaraia, Ann HUme, relict of the late Peter Hume, of Tauanui, aged 79 years.
THE Funeral of Mrs. Ann Hune widow of late Peter Hume, of Tauanui, will leave her late residence, Otaraia on Friday, 5th inst., at 10 o''clock a.m. arriving at Greytown at 2 o''clock.
Featherston and Martinborough

Colonist 8 October 1906
Mrs. P. Hume, a pioneer settler, of the Martinborough district, died last week, aged 79 years. Deceased was sister to Mrs. I. M. Hill, of Nelson, and Mrs Charles Saywell, of Richmond. She was greaty respected.

Probate Ann Hume, Place: Otaraia Lr Valley, Occ: Widow, Date of Death: 2/10/1906, AAOM 6029 10301, Filed: 23/10/1906, Will, Archives NZ, Wellington


Children of Peter Hume

Richard Hume - third son - born 1864

Death Details
1886/664, Richard Hume, Aged: 22Y - Date of Death 9/4/1886 from Death Registration

Evening Post 9 April 1886
HUME.- On the 9th April, 1886, at Dixon-street, Wellington, Richard Hume, late Bank of Australasia, and son of Peter Hume, Lower Valley, Wairarapa, aged 22 years; deeply regretted by his parents and a large circle of friends.

Colonist 12 April 1886
The Wellington ''Evening Post'' of Friday last, has the following respecting the death of a young man who was at one time a pupil at the Nelson College:— "Mr Richard Hume, third son of Mr Peter Hume, a runholder in the Lower Valley, Wairarapa, died in the hospital this morning from an attack of typhoid fever. Deceased, who was only 22 years of age, was, up to the time of his illness, a clerk in the Wellington branch of the Bank of Australasia. He was a member of the Wellington Football Club, and a brother of Mr Charles Hume, of the Poneke Club. He was a very popular young fellow, and many will learn with regret of his death."

Charles Edward Hume - fourth son - born 1866

Birth Details
1866/3576, Charles Edward Hume - no parents listed

Evening Post 13 August 1897
Featherston, This Day
Mr. Charles Edward Hume, fourth son of the late Mr. Peter Hume, died at his residence, Tauanui, near Martinborough, this morning

Probate Charles Edward Hume, Place: Tauanui, Wellington, Occ: Sheep Farmer, Date of Death: 13/8/1897, AAOM 6029 5642, Filed: 3/9/1897, Will, Archives NZ, Wellington


Evening Post 21 June 1894
A wedding took place yesterday at the Burnside Church, Lower Valley, Wairarapa, which was decorated with white flowers for the occasion, when Mr. Arthur Martin, of Otaraia, son of the late Hon. John Martin, was married to Miss Phoebe Hume, youngest daughter of the late Mr. Peter Hume, of Tauanui. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. J. Lymburn, of the Martinborough and Lower Valley Presbyterian Church. The bride, who was attended by Misses Mary Cameron and Maisie O''Connor (the latter niece of the bridegroom), wore a travelling dress of greenish purple shot poplin, with feather hat to match, and carried a bouquet of white and purple violets. Miss Cameron wore a brown costume, with felt hat, and Miss O''Connor dark green, with feather hat. The gifts of the groom were to the bride, a handsome pearl brooch and ruby and diamond bracelet, and to the bridesmaids pearl and gold bracelets. The bride was given away by her brother Mr. H. Hume, and Dr. Albert Martin, brother of the groom, acted as best man. After the ceremony the party repaired to the residence of the bride''s mother, where afternoon tea was dispensed, The presents to the bride were numerous and valuable.
  • 1827 - Birth -
  • 2 OCT 1906 - Death -
Thomas Avery
1802 - 20 JUN 1870
Ann Avery
1827 - 2 OCT 1906
Elizabeth Dapson
1800 - 22 SEP 1877
Family Group Sheet - Child
PARENT (M) Thomas Avery
Death20 JUN 1870
Marriageto Elizabeth Dapson
PARENT (F) Elizabeth Dapson
Death22 SEP 1877
Marriageto Thomas Avery
FCharles Avery
FAnn Avery
Death2 OCT 1906
Marriage1849to Peter Hume
FMary Avery
Death28 OCT 1912
Marriage1845to Isaac Mason Hill
FSarah Avery
Death27 DEC 1871
Marriage1850to James B Jackson
FEllen Avery
Death21 AUG 1919
Marriage1854to Charles Saywell
MStephen Avery
Death22 SEP 1902
Marriageto Eliza HOOPER
Marriage1869to Marion Stewart
Marriageto Sarah Jane Unknown
FElizabeth Dapson
MGeorge Avery
Death7 OCT 1903
Marriage1843to Charlotte Tandy
FHarriett Avery
Death11 OCT 1885
Marriage1851to Jonathon Manning
Family Group Sheet - Spouse
PARENT (M) Peter Hume
Death15 NOV 1892
Marriage1849to Ann Avery
PARENT (F) Ann Avery
Death2 OCT 1906
Marriage1849to Peter Hume
FatherThomas Avery
MotherElizabeth Dapson
Descendancy Chart
Ann Avery b: 1827 d: 2 OCT 1906
Peter Hume b: 1810 d: 15 NOV 1892
  • Top Surnames

    Unknown (118)
    Peck (69)
    Harris (63)
    Welch (61)
    Hooper (55)
    Hirst (52)
    Avery (51)
    August (48)
    Gaskin (44)
    Judd (41)
  • Wedding Venue Bookings

    To book a wedding email
    or phone Daphne Daysh 04 977 2055 or 027 687 2055