Traveller Rest Hotel

Hutt City Council Online Database
Main Title: Cash flush needed to buy new church
Imprint: 2000
Notes: Indexes: Filing Cabinet
Summary: Lower Hutt”s Baptist Church seeks to sell its Woburn Church in order to move into the former Dux factory warehouses in Laery Street. The Puriri Street property was bought in 1929 and the brick church (1953) and manse are now on the market. The move parallels similar developments with other local churches: The Salvation Army moved into the Guthrie Bowron building (from the now demolished Laings Road citadel), and the Hosanna fellowship moved into the old Taita hotel.
Language: English
Subject: Baptist Church, Lower Hutt
Salvation Army
Hosanna fellowship
Churches — Baptist
Heritage resources

Hutt City Library Online Database
Main Title: Neighbours object to church using empty industrial site; Conflicting tales over church noise
Imprint: 2000
Notes: Indexes: Filing Cabinet
Summary: Local opposition to using a vacant industrial building at 197 Rata Street as a Samoan Church, also cite alleged noise problems with the Hosanna World Outreach Centre, a Baptist Church based in the former Taita Hotel. Ill.
Language: English
Subject: Samoan Congregational Christian Church, Rata Street, Naenae
Hosanna World Outreach Centre, Taita
Churches -Epuni, Naenae, Taita, Stokes Valley, Waiwhetu
Heritage resources

Hutt City Library Online Database
Main Title: Mrs McInnes
Imprint: 1923
Notes: Indexes: E13
Summary: Connie Clark (nee McInnes) with her mother and uncle. Mrs McInnes was proprietress of the Taita Hotel at this time.
Language: English
Subject: Portraits
Heritage resources

Hutt City Library Online Database
Main Title: Old photos recall early pub days
Imprint: 1987
Notes: Indexes: Filing Cabinet
Summary: Mrs Connie Clarke recalls life at the Taita Hotel in the 1920s.
Language: English
Subject: Taita Hotel
Heritage resources

Hutt City Library Online Database
Main Title: Salute to legendary imbibers like Taita”s “Cocky Roach”
Imprint: 1991
Notes: Indexes: Filing Cabinet
Summary: Taita Hotel fifty years ago and people who frequented it. Neville Roche (“Cocky”) and others.
Language: English
Subject: Taita
Heritage resources

Hutt City Library Online Database
Main Title: Taita Hotel
Imprint: 1923
Notes: Indexes: E7
Summary: Second Taita Hotel. Proprietress was Mrs McInnees. No electricity at this time. It was added by electrician Mr Feist later in 1923. Windmill was for extra water.
Language: English
Subject: Hotels
Heritage resources

Main Title: Taita Hotel
Imprint: 1923
Notes: Indexes: E7
Summary: Back view of the second Taita Hotel. Proprietress was Mrs McInnes. Windmill was for extra water. Electricity was laid on late in 1923 by Mr Feist.
Language: English
Subject: Hotels
Heritage resources

Main Title: Taita Hotel
Imprint: c1915
Notes: 1660
Indexes: E7
Summary: New Taita Hotel was built in front of the old. Part of verandah was glassed in by 1920. Mounted original also held E24.
Language: English
Subject: Hotels
Heritage resources

Main Title: Taita Hotel
Imprint: c1910
Notes: Indexes: E7
Summary: First Taita Hotel. Burned down before 1914.
Language: English
Subject: Hotels
Heritage resources

Main Title: Taita hotel now…and then [newspaper article]
Source: Hutt News 5/5/1987, p. 38
Notes: ill.
Language: English
Subject: Clarke, Connie
McInnes, Connie
Taita Hotel
Hotels, Bars and Restaurants
Heritage resources

Lower Hutt Past and Present 1941

In October, 1840, there were at least five inns or taverns on the Petone beach. There are still only five licensed houses in the Lower Hutt and Taita districts.
The first hostelry in the Hutt was Burcham”s Aglionby Arms, at the Village of Aglionby (see Historical plan.) It is believed that this was built in 1840.
In 1847, however, there is record of this inn being situated near the bridge. On account of the river erosion it was again moved further to the west where, on a plan dated 1863, it appears where the south-west end of the present concrete bridge is. There was further erosion in the big floods of 1871 and 1872, when the building was undermined and it was taken down. Parts of it were used in the construction of the stables at the rear of the present Railway Hotel, which was opened in 1875 by Mr. Nat. Valentine.
The Central Hotel was built in 1880, and occupies the site of Whitewood”s Hotel, built in 1847.
Little is known of the Rose Inn which, in 1849, stood where the Commonwealth Covenant Church was recently erected.
The Family Hotel was built in 1874, and was originally known as Osgood”s.
The Bellevue Hotel, in Woburn Road, was originally situated in the Bellevue Gardens, previously known as McNab”s, and now occupied by residences. The hotel was burnt down in 1912, and the present one was constructed shortly afterwards.
There were many hotels in the Taita in the early days, but little is known of their history.
In 1847 Hughes”s Public House stood where the golf course now is, opposite the Anglican Church.
George Buck was “mine host” at the Travellers” Rest, which stood opposite Taita Hotel, in 1852. It is believed that this place was afterwards known as Honeymoon Cottage, and that the license of the present Taita Hotel originated here.
The Barley Mow Inn was mentioned in a report of the great flood in 1858, and the name of the Albion Inn appears in a list of local public-houses in 1865. This latter building is still standing, and was the half-way house for coaches running to and from the Wairarapa.
It is probable that many of these places existed before the dates mentioned.
These early houses were licensed and the fees provided a large part of the revenue of the township in those days.
on line – url

Record Title : Wyles & Buck (Surveyors)
Plan shewing presumed boundaries of land attached to Whitewoods Hotel (J. D. Fraser) Lower Hutt [ms map]. Messrs Wyles & Buck, licensed surveyors, Wellington, 1876
Reference Number : MapColl-832.4794gbbd/1876/Acc.22976
Physical Description : Ink and colourwash on dressed linen, scale [1:3 168], 77.3 x 36.7 cm.
Quantity : 1 manuscript map(s)
Scope and Contents : Map of the section, with the acreage, which includes the site of Whitewoods Hotel, Lower Hutt, situated between the Hutt, Waiwetu [i.e. Waiwhetu] and Church of England Roads. The site includes a house and stables. The title of the map includes the name of J. D. Fraser, owner of the hotel
Restrictions : Unrestricted
Use/Reproduction : Photocopying not permitted.
Issue Status : Issuable ITEM
Names : Wyles & Buck (Firm) (as the surveyor)
Whitewood”s Hotel (Lower Hutt) (Subject)
Fraser, J D, fl 1876 (as a related subject)
Subjects : Wellington Region (N.Z.) – Maps
Hotels – New Zealand – Wellington Region
Boundaries (Estates)
Places : Lower Hutt
Waiwhetu Road
Image Type : Maps
from web site,149 Accessed: 30 May 2011

Record Title : Wyles & Buck
Part section no. 25, Hutt, Wellington, 1879 [ms map]. Mssrs Wyles & Buck, licensed surveyors.
Reference Number : MapColl-832.4793gbbd/1879/Acc.10346
Physical Description : Ink and watercolour on paper, scale [1: 384], 52 x 51 cm.
Quantity : 1 manuscript map(s)
Scope and Contents : A surveyed, cadastral map of part section number 25, Lower Hutt, bounded by the intersection of Waiwhetu Road and the old Main Road from Wellington to Wairarapa. The highlighted part section is over 15 perches and built on it is a bank and a small dwelling. It is bounded by property owned by R Cleland (including a store) and H Brandt. The Whitewood”s Hotel is opposite.
An unsigned handwritten note of length on the map states that the intention is to bring the section boundaries under the provision of the Land Transfer Act, 1870.
Other Notes : Includes numerical annotations in pencil.
Provenance : From the William Seldon Buck collection.
Restrictions : Unrestricted
Use/Reproduction : Photocopying not permitted.
Issue Status : Issuable ITEM
Digital Copy : Digital copy available
Extent of Copying : Aperture card available
Names : Wyles & Buck (Firm) (as the surveyor)
Cleland, Robert McGiffert, 1836?-1884 (as a related subject)
New Zealand. Land Transfer Act 1952 (Subject)
Buck, William Seldon, fl 1886-1909 (Creator)
Subjects : Wellington Region (N.Z.) – Maps
Land tenure – New Zealand – Wellington Region
Land titles – Registration and transfer – New Zealand – Wellington Region
Cadastral maps
Places : Waiwhetu Road
Lower Hutt City
Image Type : Maps
Search Dates : 1879 – 1879
Digital Objects : View archived copy online
from web site,277 Accessed: 30 May 2011

New Zealand Spectator and Cook”s Strait Guardian 10 July 1847
6th July, 1847
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Undermentioned Special Publicans” Licenses are now ready for issue:-
THOMAS JACKSON HUGHES, Taiti (sic), Port Nicholson
Treasurer Southern Division.

Wellington Independent 29 April 1848

We should not do justice to the settlers in the vicinity of Erritonga if we omitted to notice the number of snug dwellings that are continually rearing their heads by the road side, especially the spacious house of accomodation in course of erection by Mr. Hughes, at the Taitai; in fact, a confidence seems established in this delightful district, a true spirit of colonization (sic) resounds through the woods, that a short time ago only echoed to the savage yell.

Wellington Independent 24 May 1848
Treasury Wellington,
15th May, 1848.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that the undermentioned Special Publican”s Licenses are ready for issue:-

T. Jackson Hughes, at the Hutt.
Col. Treasurer

Wellington Independent 3 February 1849
THE Undersigned being about to leave the Colony, calls upon all those having claims upon him, to bring in the same forthwith for exaamination.
All parties indebted to him are requested to settle their respective accounts without delay.
T. J. Hughes.
Taita, River Hutt
January 3, 1849

Wellington Independent 3 February 1849
A valuable Leasehold Property, having Sixteen years of the Lease to run.
THE well known Way-side PUBLIC HOUSE, situated at the Taita, and known as the
Traveller”s Rest,
is offered for Sale. The house has an excellent run of business, and is in one of the most promising situations within this neighbourhood, being on the
and at such a distance from Wellington, as almost ensures the necessity of all passengers, to and fro, stopping for refreshment. In connection with the House, all necessary Out-buildings have been erected, and there are nine acres of first rate land attached, nearly all cleared.
The premises possess (sic) the advantage of having a frontage of 10 1/2 chains on each side of the road and altogether the above is well worthy the consideration of any person desirous of embarking capital in a lucative pursuit.
For further particular and information, immediate application should be made to
Taita, River Hutt.
February 3, 1849

Wellington Independent 10 March 1849
MR. HUGHES, begs to announce that his
will take place at the Travellers” Rest, Taita, on
FRIDAY, MARCH 30, 1849.
Dinner on Table at 5 oӍlock, precisely.
Tickets, 5s. each, may be had at Freemason Tavern, and at the Travellers Rest.
March 9, 1849

Wellington Independent 20 April 1850
Tuesday, April 16, 1850

Licences Renewed

6. Buck, Traveller”s Rest, Taitai

17. Whitewood, The Rose Inn, Hutt

New Zealand Spectator and Cook”s Strait Guardian 2 November 1850
An Inquest was held on Tuesday, and by adjournment the following day, at the Thistle Inn, Thorndon, before Dr. Fitzgerald, Coroner, on the body of James McKillop who was shot at the Taitai by John Leverton on Sunday morning last. From the evidence of G. G. Buck, who keeps the Traveller”s Rest, Taitai, confirmed by other witnesses, it appeared that on Saturday afternoon 26th instant, the deceased called at the house of witness between 5 and 6 o”clock in company with a man named Robinson on his way to the Hutt bridge; witness went to the school where he remained till between nine and ten o”clock, and on his return found McKillop and Leverton at his house Leverton went away about ten; shortly after witness went into the tap to fetch the lamp and saw there McKillop, Stephens, and two or three other persons; Stephens told McKillop not to call at his house so often at night as he had done lately, when McKillop, using at the same time abusive language, took the heavy lamp from the table and flung it at Stephens, it missed him and struck the wall; finding he had missed his aim, be stretched across the table and caught hold of Stephens striking him several times in the face; a scuffle ensued and Stephens dragged McKillop outside the house. McKillop returned, and near 11 o”clock witness was obliged to turn McKillop, who was tipsy, out of the house; the following morning about four o”clock, witness was informed that McKillop had been shot by Leverton, and he went in company with David Porter to Leverton”s where he saw McKillop with a blanket over him in a place under Leverton”s bunk groaning very much; witness called a doctor who was stayiug at his house and went with him to Leverton”s. McKillop was a violent man when in liquor, and was often tipsy, and in the habit of threatening persons when in that state when at Leverton”s witness noticed the nails of the ketch of the door drawn and an axe inside; Leverton was sober when he left witness” house. A. E. McDonogh, Sub-Inspector of Police, Wellington, deposed, that about 4 o”clock in the afternoon of Sunday the 27th instant, he received information that the deceased J. McKillop of the Taitai in the Hutt district had been shot by John Leverton; he immediately prepared to proceed thither, when shortly afterwards deceased and Leverton were brought down by T. Florence, constable; witness ordered Leverton to be taken to the station-house, and deceased was put into a house adjoining the Colonial Hospital. Being informed by Dr. Monteith, who had examined the wound, that deceased could not possibly live, witness took the deposition of deceased on oath, and shortly afterwards a more full statement on oath by deceased was taken by the Resideut Magistrate and witness in the presence of the prisoner, which was to the following effect:- Deceased stated he had been a servant to John Leverton for about three months, that on Saturday 26th instant he went down to the Hutt Bridge, and on his return met Leverton at Buck”s public house at the Taitai where he remained in his company several hours. Leverton left Buck”s and about the middle of the night he also went home and, finding the door fastened on the inside, he called to Leverton to let him in; he told him he might go and sleep in the barn; deceased said it was too cold to sleep there; prisoner said he did not care he would not get up; deceased then threatened if he was not let in to smash the door open; Leverton replied if he did so he would shoot him; deceased took up a stick and broke open the door, and at the same time heard the report of a gun and found himself wounded in the lower part of the belly; Leverton then said oh, Jemmy, and began to cry; deceased staggered to his bunk and lay down; deceased said there was no ill feeling between him and the prisoner, that, on the contrary, he was always kind to him that he (deceased) had loaded the fowling piece a few days before to frighten some maories; he loaded it in Leverton”s presence; deceased said he was not sober when he went home. In answer to a question from prisoner”s counsel, deceased, stated he did not say he would smash the door open with an axe, but that the axe was inside the house; he did not, to his knowledge, use any threats of violence towards the prisoner; deceased further said there was but one room in the house and two bunks, one over the other; prisoner slept in the upper one and deceased in the lower one.
By the Jury – Deceased was quite collected when be gave his evidence; had known deceased for some years, he was a great drunkard, and when tipsy a very violent character; deceased stated that Leverton had a glass or two but was quite sober when he left Buck”s.
G. D. Monteith, Surgeon, deposed, that having been sent for he went to the Taitai where he saw deceased at Leverton”s house, on examining him be found a gun shot wound immediately below the navel with a large portion of the intestine protruding; witness found it impossible to return it without an operation, and caused deceased to be conveyed to Wellington to a house adjoining the Hospital where witness enlarged the wound and returned the intestine; he gradually sunk and died on Tuesday morning; on a post mortem examination witness found the intestines immediately under the wound pierced in several places by slugs and wadding; mortification had taken place which together with internal hemorrage had caused death; had no doubt deceased died from the effect of the wound before described; Leverton appeared very anxious about deceased.
The Jury returned a verdict of Manslaughter against Leverton who has been committed to take his trial at the next criminal Sittings of the Supreme Court.

Wellington Independent 4 January 1851
On Wednesday last, being New Year”s Day

Burcham, at the Aglionby Arms, provided an ample abundance of the good things of this life for his numerous guests and friends, while Buck, of the Travellers” Rest, Taiti, catered in the most liberal manner for all his visitors, and finally kept open house for all who favoured him with a call.

Wellington Independent 12 April 1851
THE Undersigned being about to leave the colony, requests that all persons having claims against him, to present the same for liquidation; and all person indebted to him are reqested to pay the amount of their several accounts without delay, or else
Traveller”s Rest, Taita
April 9, 1851

Wellington Independent 16 April 1851
Taita, April 8.
The weather in this quarter has for sometime past been rather variable, but has become I think more settled, beginning and ending the day with a sharp, bracing, frosty atmosphere. Every thing here is going a head as regards the clearing and burning off the bush, thrashing, &c. Fresh settlers are coming to settle here every week. Mr. Mason has come amongst us once more, he was as you will recollect, the fartherst (sic) back-woodsman in the valley of the Hutt, which he left on the breaking out of the native disturbances. Many will, I hope, follow his example in proceeding up the valley, for as his Excellency Sir George Grey said at the Hutt dinner, it is only to settling in the interior that we must look for the future agricultural wealth of Port Nicholson On the 1st of April, the good folks of the Taita, with some friends from the Hutt-bridge and Wellington, assembled to enjoy themselves, at the Traveller”s Rest. Dancing commenced about eight o”clock, and was kept up with unwonted glee and spirit till about 11 o”clock, when all present amounting to forty persons, adjourned to the supper room, where an excellent cold collation, including all the delicacies of the season, and abundance of the essential and more solid viands graced the groaning tables, I say graced for every one present declared that they had seldom seen a more elegant or substantial set out. After supper dancing was resumed with redoubled energy and vivacity. It was daylight before the merry party could prevail on themselves to leave off this exhilarating amusement. All present agreeing in wishing happiness and success to Mr. and Mrs. Buck, for their kindness, and efforts to please during the whole evening, and hoped that it would not be long before they would meet again and spend such another merry evening under the roof of their excellent entertainers. Although out of Town, few can boast of better accommodations or a better regulated house than the Traveller”s Rest.

Wellington Independent 3 September 1851
Surveyor, Architect, and Civil Engineer, &c.,
Tai Tai

Wellington Independent 3 November 1852
THE Undersigned wishes to inform the Inhabitants of Wellington, that he intends to commence running his Van on SUNDAY next, the 24th October, from Wellington to the Hutt, and will continue to run every Day during the Summer Months, or longer if inducements should offer.
The Van will pass down the beach and finally leave the Royal Hotel every Morning at 1/2 past 9, returning from Whitewood”s Hotel every Evening at 5 o”clock.
Fares, 1s 6d. each way
October 20, 1852

Wellington Independent 3 November 1852
The Wellington Accommodation.
MR. FOWLER, of the Freemason”s Tavern, desires to inform the Inhabitants of Wellington and neighbourhood, that after the first of next month he intends to commence running a Van daily (Sundays included), for the conveyance of Passengers and Goods, between Wellington and the Hutt. The Van will leave the Freemason”s Tavern every Monday at 9, and in returning will start from Mr. G. Buck”s, the Traveller”s Rest, Taitai, at half-past 3, and Mr. Allen”s, Aglionby Arms, at half-past 4.
Fares, 1s. each way.
October 19, 1852

Wellington Independent 20 April 1853
The Annual Licensing meeting was held at the Police Court on Tuesday last, when the following applications were granted, viz.:-

George Buck, Travellers” Rest, Taiti

Wm. M. Whitemwood (sic), Whitewood”s Hotel, Hutt

Wellington Independent 3 December 1853 + more
Samson (horse) at Travellers Rest

Wellington Independent 12 April 1854
ODD FELLOWS, M.U. – On Saturday evening last, a new Lodge, in connection with the bove Society was opened at the House of Mr. George Buck, Traveller”s Rest, Taitai, named the “Loyal Good Intent” Lodge, and is to meet every alternative Saturday evening.

Wellington Independent 30 August 1854
Loyal Good Intent Lodge.
M.U., I.O.F.
THE Brethren are respectfully informed that a DINNER and BALL will be given on Thursday, the 7th September, in the Lodge Hall, Traveller”s Rest, Taitai, Host G. Buck, to celebrate the opening of the above Lodge; when all who can make it convenient are respectfully invited to attend. Tickets 5s each. Dinner on Table at 7 o”clock, and the Ball to commence at 9 o”clock.
By Order of the N.G.
Taitai, August 25th, 1854.

Wellington Independent 17 January 1855
Begs to inform intending Purchasers of
Country Land
That he will offer for Public Competition,
At Mr. Buck”s,
Traveller”s Rest, Taita,
On THURSDAY, FEB. 1st, 1855,
The following Choice and Valuable sections of COUNTRY LAND, all situated in the Hutt and neighbourhood.

Colonist 2 February 1858
Inter-Provincial News.
(From the Spectator of January 23.)
In our last we gave such details of the disastrous flood which had occurred at the Hutt as had reached us, we now furnish the following particulars which we believe may be relied upon, as being substantially correct. The number of bodies at present actually recovered is nine, namely,— Mrs. Stanway (sic) and two children, one 4 years old and the other 6 years; Mr. Sollars, his wife and child; Mrs. Hegan and infant, and; Mrs. Price; the – other persons known to be missing are the husband of Mr. (sic) Stanway, and three more of his children, who were all seen to be washed away together. The particular locality where this fearful loss of life occurred was near the “Barley Mow Inn,” at the Upper Valley of the Hutt. When the flood was at its highest about one o”clock, a.m., Tuesday morning, the force of the water at this point is described by an eye-witness as having, been terrific. The water was seen rushing along like an immense wave, crashing and roaring, and carrying everything before it; huge trees, portions of buildings, timber, furniture, and debris of every description, were borne away by the force of the current. To witness the havoc and destruction which the flood has caused is most painful and baffles all description. Many acres of land which only a few hours before to all appearance promised a plentiful crop, are now covered with sand and shingle, and not a particle of vegetation remains. The quantities of drift timber, in many instances large solid trees, which have been deposited by the flood is perfectly incredible, and will take many months to remove. The unfortunate persons who have lost their lives by this calamity are mostly late arrivals in the country. Mrs. Hegan (a daughter of Mr. Dew, an old settler at the Hutt) was living in a small wooden building near the first gorge; Mr. Price and a man named Charles Hartley were also residing in the house. Upon seeing the water rise so rapidly some fear was entertained for the safety of the building, and the survivor Hartley proposed to go for a rope to secure the house; when he left the water was up to the window, and the house was actually shaking. He almost immediately lost his footing, and was swimming, with the current for nearly half-a-mile, until he succeeded in getting up a tree, where he remained for 14 hours, until rescued by some passers by on the following day. From the position he occupied he could see everything around him; he states that he soon after saw the house borne away with the current; the inmates Mrs. Hegan (who was only confined that morning) and the nurse Mrs. Price, were climbing on to the roof of the house; they passed by close to where he was in the tree, and he describes the shrieks of the females as fearful; a minute after the house turned over, and nothing more was seen of them. The bodies were recovered about a mile from the spot on Wednesday morning, the infant was found firmly locked in the dying grasp of the mother, the nurse was found close to her, the body was very much mangled. The bodies were removed to the house of Mr. Dew, and an inquest held on them, when a verdict of accidentally drowned was returned. The husband of Mrs. Hegan is absent in the country, and of course is ignorant of the desolation of his home. Mrs. Price, who was much respected, and who arrived in the Ann Wilson, leaves a family of young children behind her; her husband was absent from home at the time. The other family, Mr. Stanway, wife and five children, were all seen together on the roof of their house; the water rose rapidly and submerged the whole of them, and they were seen, to sink one after the other. The blacksmith Sollers with his wife and infant perished in a similar manner; they imagined themselves secure, but the house was borne away with the current, and he was heard by persons on the hills to say “good bye.” The bodies were found mostly together, one, completely buried in the sand. A man and his wife named Smith, living near to Mr. Dew, were saved after remaining on the top of a building for many hours, whilst all around them was borne away. To give-anything like a detailed account of the losses sustained by residents at the Hutt would be impossible, we may however state a few of the most important particulars of individual loss of which we have been informed: — Mr. D. Riddiford has lost about 120 sheep; Mr. Barton has also lost a number of sheep; Mr. Thomas Mason a number of cattle; Mr. Arnott cattle and sheep; Mr. John Leverton has lost entirely 50 acres of crops, and a large number of cattle; Mr. C. Mabey lost a number of sheep, and also a large quantity of fenced and cropped land; Mr. Buckridge, of the Albion Hotel, has had his crops destroyed and the river has taken a course completely through his property; at Mr. Wm. Tandy”s the river now runs through his ground and has destroyed a large amount of property; Mrs. Speedy”s land is completely cut up in all directions by the different channels the rain has made, in many cases large fissures 12 feet deep have been formed; Mr. Still has lost a number of sheep, &c.; Mr. John Russell 10 head of cattle; Mr. Dew, an old settler, estimates his loss at not less than £500; a property which a week ago was worth many hundreds of pounds is now comparatively worthless, five acres of grass land have been completely swept away. A large number of men had volunteered to assist in removing a shingle bed which had been thrown up, and which prevents the river from taking its old channel, and nearly all the residents at the Hutt were endeavouring to contribute either in labour or otherwise to this object. The destruction of the roads between Poad”s public house and the Taitai (sic) is almost incredible, scarcely a vestige remains at some places of the original road; at one place (a bridge near McDonald”s creek) the river runs right through the road, making it very dangerous for passengers at night, the banks descending abruptly to the depth of 15 feet; other dangerous places occur along the whole line of road. The Waiwetu and Second River bridges have both been carried away. It is to be hoped that the Provincial authorities will lose no time in removing the large quantity of drift timber now lying on the roads, and in making it again passable.

(From the Spectator of January 27.)
A public meeting was held at the Hutt Mechanics” Institute, on Tuesday, 26th January, to consider the best steps to be taken under the circumstances. About 200 people were present at one time during the evening, Mr. Braithwaite was in the chair. Great regret was expressed at the non-attendance of any person to represent the Provincial Government. Mr. Ludlam, as one of those who had signed the notice calling the meeting, opened the proceedings by explaining his objects in so doing. The following Resolutions were unanimously carried after considerable discussion.
Moved by Mr. Ludlam, seconded by Mr. Hart,—
That this meeting is of opinion that immediate and energetic action is required in order to repair the serious public danger done by the recent inudation of this Valley, and in order also to guard against the recurrence of the attendant calamities as far as human means can avail.
Moved by Mr. Wakefield, seconded by Mr, Jillett,—
That the following gentlemen be requested to act as a Committee for the purpose of communicating with the Government on the subject,— of obtaining accurate information as to the causes of the damage and means of remedy,— and of collecting subscriptions towards the necessary expenses, viz:— Messrs. Ludlam, Hart, Corbett, Phillips, Wilcock, David Hughey, Lynch, Mason, and Wakefield.
Moved by Mr. Hart, seconded by Mr. Riddiford, —
That the Committee be requested to open a separate Subscription List for the purpose of relieving serious cases of private distress among the sufferers by the recent inudation.

An inquest was held at Mr. Robert Blade”s the Traveller”s Rest Inn, Taitai (sic), in the Hutt district, on Wednesday, 20th January, by Dr. Buck, Coroner for the Hutt, upon the bodies of Mrs. Hagan and infant son, Mrs. Price their nurse, Charles Sollars, blacksmith, his wife and child, and two children named Fanny and Jane Stanaway, residents on the Upper Hutt, who had been drowned, by the flood on January 18th. It was stated in evidence that on Monday, 18th January, and in consequence of the heavy rains of the previous days, the river rose rapidly and soon overflowed the whole valley, and as the rain continued to fall incessantly during the same day the water rose to an alarming height. The greatest injury was done near the Silver Stream (sic), where the deceased parties resided, the water gradually rising in their houses until they had to betake themselves to the roofs, the current being strong around them, and the ground lower, than where they were situated, their escape was cut off. Charles Hartely, who was residing with Sollars, swam from one house to another, and assisted the immates in getting into (sic) the roof,— and as the water still rose he endeavoured to get them to land by means of a rope, but without success, and was at last obliged to save himself by swimming. The houses were at length carried away. On the roof of one was Mr. Stanaway, a carpenter, his wife and five children, and on the other, Mr. Sollars, blacksmith, his wife and child, Mrs. Hagan, her infant and the nurse, Mrs. Price. The houses were carried down the stream some distance before they broke up, and then all perished. The eight bodies were found on the previous day, January 19th, between Mr. Dew”s and Mr. Dalgetty”s.
An inquest was held at the same place on January 21st, on the body of Mrs. Stanaway, which had been found on the evening of the previous day, January 20th. Verdict, Accidental death by drowning.
The jury at the same time wished to express the high opinion they had of the conduct of Charles Hartley, in his strenuous exertions to save the sufferers at the risk of his life.
Jan. 25.— The body of Richard Stanaway was found this morning, near Mr. Ebden”s, leaving now three bodies unfound, viz., Mr. Stanaway and two more of the children.

Wellington Independent 1 May 1860
PUBLICANS LICENSES.- March being the General Annual Licensing month the following Licenses have been granted.

George Buck, Taita, Travellers Rest
Robert Buckridge, Hutt, Albion

Robert Jillet, Hutt, Whitewood”s Hotel

John McHardie, Hutt, Highland Home

Robert Wyeth, Hutt, Barley Mow

John Blutchford (sic), Hutt, Aglionby Arms

Wellington Independent 23 April 1868

The licenses renewed were those held by

Buck, for the Travellers” Rest, Hutt;

Mary Corbett, Hutt;

Samuel Death, Albion Hotel, Hutt;

J. Osgood, for Whitewood”s Hotel;

Wellington Independent 12 November 1868

MR. J. H. WALLACE is instructed by Mr George Buck, to sell by public auction, (immediately after the sale of the late Mr Gillies” station and stock), on Tuesday, December 15, 1868, at his Land Mart, Wellington, at 2 o”clock p.m.,
All the valuable freehold comprising about 7 1/2 acres of the most fertile land in the Hutt, fenced and cultivated, upon which stands
The “Travellers Rest” one of the best established business houses in the Hutt. In addition to the Hotel, there are stables, cowsheds and out-houses, an excellent garden, well stocked with fruit trees, two good wells of beautiful clear water, and every comfort and convenience for a first class business. The furniture and effects can be taken at a valuation at the option of the purchaser.
The Hay and standing crops can also be taken at a valuation, possession will be given about the 25th January, 1869.
Terms – One fourth cash, the remainder can remain on mortgage for a term of years at 10 per cent interest.
For further particulars apply to A. de B. Brandon, Esq., Solicitor, to the auctioneer, Wellington, or to the proprietor, Mr Buck, Taita, Hutt, at either of which places a plan of the property can be seen.
Land and Estate office,
Wellington, Nov. 10, 1868.

Evening Post 7 December 1870
HENRY CHURCHER, of Whitewood”s Hotel, Hutt, in order to prevent any misunderstanding, wishes to inform country settlers, farmers, and the public in general, that the usual Monthly Markets will be held as hitherto at the old established Sale Yards adjoining his Hotel, where an Auctioneer will be in attendance as usual.
H. C. considers it necessary to give publicity to the above as reports have been circulated that the market yards had been removed to the other side of the bridge.
Whitewood”s Hotel,
5th December, 1870.

Evening Post 15 February 1871
HENRY CHURCHER, late of Whitewood”s Hotel, Hutt, begs to inform his friends and the general public that he has taken the above well- known Hotel and assures country settlers and visitors from town that they will find in it every COMFORT and
CONVENIENCE, combined with MODERATE PRICES. To PICNIC PARTIES and those desirous of spending a pleasant day in the country, the SUPERIOR ATTRACTIONS of the surrounding scenery will be found to well repay the trouble of a longer drive; and should they favor his house with a visit, H. CHURCHER promises that
every arrangement will be made to add to their enjoyment.

WINES, SPIRITS, and BEER, of the BEST QUALITY always on hand.

Wellington Independent 20 February 1872
E. IKE, late Wairarapa coachman for Mr Hastwell, has for the last five years seen a great want of a Bus which is suited for the comfort of travellers to and from the above named places but he is now glad to say that he has imported one of the most handsome and convenient busses that has ever been in this province, and that every care and attention will be given to the comfort of those who will favor him with their support. –
The Bus will leave Mr Churcher”s Travellers” Rest Hotel, Taita, at 8.15 a.m., leaving New Zealander Hotel, Wellington, 3.15. p.m.

Evening Post 12 March 1872
Travellers” Rest Hotel and Honeymoon Cottage,

Wellington Independent 17 April 1872
Licensing Meeting

Rural Licenses.
The following licenses were granted:-

Henry Churcher, Travellers” Rest, Taita;

Alexander MacDonald, Whitewood”s Hotel, Hutt; Nathaniel Valentine, Railway Hotel, Hutt;

Samuel Death, Albion Hotel, Hutt; R. F. Pettre (sic), Family Hotel, Hutt;

Wellington Independent 21 May 1873
In the SUPREME COURT of New Zealand,

NOTICE is hereby given that HENRY CHURCHER, of the Taita, in the Province of

Wellington, Licensed Victualler, did this day file in the Supreme Court a declaration that he is unable to meet his engagement with his creditors.
Dated the 20th day of May, 1873
Solicitor for the said Henry Churcher

Evening Post 28 November 1873
WANTED, a Housemaid, for the Travellers” Rest Hotel, Taita. Apply to Mrs Murphy, Melbourne Hotel

Wellington Indpendent 12 March 1874
Publican”s Annual Licensing Metting
I hereby give notice that the Publicans” Annual Licensing Meeting for the Hutt District will be held at the Regident Magistrate”s Court, Wellington, on THURSDAY, the 23rd day of April, 1874, at 11 o”clock in the forenoon.

Hutt District
List of Applicatiosn for the Wholesale Licenses,
Burt, Thomas, The Hutt

List of Applications for Puiblicans” Licenses,
Death, Samuel, Albion Hotel, The Hutt
Mountain, Frank, Traveller”s Rest, Taita
Petterd, Richard F., Family Hotel, Hutt
Prosser, John, Whitewood”s Hotel, Hutt
Valentine, Nathaniel, Railway Hotel, Hutt
Wilkins, Isaac, Railway Hotel, Upper HUtt
Clerk of Court
Resident Magistrate”s Court,
Wellington, 11th March, 1874

Evening Post 18 August 1874
Wanted, a good General Servant for the Taita. Apply immediately to Mrs Corbett, Thorndon Cottage, Molesworth-street

Wellington Indpendent 12 March 1874
Publican”s Annual Licensing Metting
I hereby give notice that the Publicans” Annual Licensing Meeting for the Hutt District will be held at the Regident Magistrate”s Court, Wellington, on THURSDAY, the 23rd day of April, 1874, at 11 o”clock in the forenoon.

Hutt District
List of Applicatiosn for the Wholesale Licenses,
Burt, Thomas, The Hutt

List of Applications for Puiblicans” Licenses,
Death, Samuel, Albion Hotel, The Hutt
Mountain, Frank, Traveller”s Rest, Taita
Petterd, Richard F., Family Hotel, Hutt
Prosser, John, Whitewood”s Hotel, Hutt
Valentine, Nathaniel, Railway Hotel, Hutt
Wilkins, Isaac, Railway Hotel, Upper Hutt
Clerk of Court
Resident Magistrate”s Court,
Wellington, 11th March, 1874

Evening Post 23 & 28 April 1874
query Taita
about Licensing Court

Evening Post 10 November 1874
Wanted, a good Horseshoer for the Taita.

Apply to N. Jansen, opposite Mountain”s

Travellers” Rest Hotel

Evening Post 10 June 1875


J. H. Corbett, Albion Hotel, Taita;

The application of George Pugsley for the Travellers” Rest, Taita, was opposed by Inspector Atchinson, on the ground that house was dirty, with windows broken, and was generally out of repair. He was willing to withdraw his opposition, if the applicant promised to put his house in a proper state.
Mr. Pugsley promised to do so.
The Chairman, in granting the license, said they would not license more drinking shops, or any houses which were not actually places of accommodation for travellers. If the applicant failed to perform his promise, his license would be cancelled at the next quarterly meeting.

Evening Post 3 October 1877
Taita,. Lower Hutt.
C. F. WORTH begs to inform the public generally that his New Hotel and Stabling are now completed, and that hence-forward he will be able and most willing to accommodate all parties who will favor him their patronage.
The hotel is situated in a healthy country district, on the Hutt road, about thirteen miles from the city, and is acknowledged to be one of the pleasantest drives in Wellington. The hotel provides ample accommodation for parties or families who require a short respite for the benefit of their health, and proper attention has been applied to the pleasurable requirements of the place.
The hotel contains good public and private rooms, including a spacious and well-lighted Billiard-room with full size Table.
And in the ground — good Bowling and Croquet Lawn, with Flower Garden, and Paddocks for other amusements.
Every effort will be made to supply liquors and refreshments of the best brands; and the Culinary Department will receive the best attention of the Proprietor.
The Stabling accommodation is acknowledged to be ample and good, containing over Forty Stalls, including Three Loose Boxes, with the necessary requirements. A Groom is kept on the premises, and proper attention will be given to any horses or stock entrusted to his care.
Conveyances run at moderate fares from the Hotel to the Lower Hutt Railway Station to meet every train each way.

Evening Post 11 January 1878
The Travellers” Rest Hotel, Taita, changes hands in a few days, Mr. Worth retiring in favor of Mr. W. R. Prosser, formerly of the Club Hotel, Marton. The Travellers” Rest has just been rebuilt, and affords excellent accommodation. A coach in connection with the hotel will leave town every Sunday for the Taita, starting from the City Hotel at 10.30 a.m., and the New Zealander at 10.40 a.m. Mr. Prosser takes possession on the 18th inst.

Evening Post 21 January 1878
The undersigned, who is about leaving Wellington for a time through ill-health, wishes all accounts against him to be sent in for settlement by the 1st February, and all accounts due to him to be paid by the same date, to save trouble.
Mr. W. Prosser, at the Travellers” Rest Hotel, Taita, Lower Hutt, will receive accounts due to me and give a receipt for the same, and will forward me all other correspondence.
C. F. WORTH, Lower Hutt

Evening Post 31 December 1878
GEORGE WILTSHIRE, late Head Waiter of the Club Hotel. Masterton, begs to inform the citizens of Wellington, the inhabitants of the Hutt Valley, and travellers, that he has taken the above well-known establishment from Mr. W. Prosser, and has laid in a stock of superior Wines, Beers, and Spirits The Taita forms one of the most beautiful drives out of Wellington, and the Hotel and Cottage afford every convenience for the accommodation of visitors.
Parties visiting the Taita on Sundays may rely on being always able to obtain a really first-class dinner and, generally, Mr. Wiltshire will spare no effort which a loug experience in first-class hotels can suggest to promote the comfort and enjoyment of those who may favor him with their patronage.

Evening Post 11 May 1882
I, HENRY NEILSON, of Taita, Hotel keeper, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next licensing meeting to be holden at the Lower Hutt on the 5th day of June, 1882, apply for a certificate authorising the issue of a publican”s license for a house situate at the Taita containing ten rooms exclusive of those required for the use of the family, and in respect of which I now hold a publican”s license.
Date the 10th day of May, 1882.

Evening Post 13 May 1882
I JOHN ANDERSON WILLIAMS, of Taita, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next Licensing Meeting to be holden at Lower Hutt, on the 5th day of June, apply for a certificate authorising the issue of a publican”a license for a house situate at Taita, known as the Travellers” Rest Hotel, containing 14 rooms, exclusive of those required for the use of the family, and owned by Mr. George Buck.
Dated the 13th day of May, 1882.

Evening Post 22 August 1883
IF Mr. Jacobs, owner of the Chestnut Horse running on my land since 11th March, 1882, does not claim the same within fourteen days from this date, and pay all expenses, it will be sold by public auction at the next Hutt Marker, to defray the same,
Travellers Rest Hotel,
Taita, Hutt
22nd August, 1883

Evening Post 30 May 1899
Mr. John Williams, an old settler and well known in the city and suburbs, died suddenly in the magazine reading room in the Free Public Library this morning. Mr Williams was an old subscriber to the library, and this morning after changing a book he went into the reading-room, and was reading there when (at about 11.30 o”clock) a fellow-reader noticed him start and full back in his chair. The attendant (Mr. E. Perry) was called, and he did what he could to relieve Mr. Williams, who appeared to be in a faint. Several medical men were rung up by telephone, but none were at home. Within a short time of the attack, however, Dr. Fyffe, who was passing by, was called in, but on examination he declared life to be extinct. Deceased did not recover consciousness from the time of his attack. Mr. and Mrs. Williams some eight years ago kept the Taita Hotel, and they also were in the Kilbirnie Hotel for some time. As a young man the deceased was a member of a British cavalry regiment, which he left to emigrate in the early days to Victoria, where he married and came on to Wellington.

Evening Post 22 March 1886
FREDERICK J. FRANCE, having taken the above premises, hopes, by constant attention and civility to his patrons, to meet with the support of the public. There is a nice garden attached to the premises, and the accommodation for married couples will be found both private and comfortable. To parties wishing for a nice drive out of town this will be found to be both agreeable and healthy.
None but the best brands of spirits and beer kept.
A coach meets every train to and from the Lower Hutt station.
Note the Address – Taita, 3 miles beyond Lower Hutt

Evening Post 14 February 1889
W. RAPLEY begs to inform the citizens of Wellington and the travelling public that he has secured the lease of the above country retreat, and will be happy to see all old friends and others who may favour him with their patronage.
Best Wines, Spirits, and Ales supplied with cleanliness, civility, and a hearty welcome,
W. Rapley,

Listed under Taita
NZPO 1890 – 91 Rapley Wm. Travellers” Rest Hotl (sic)

Evening Post 8 May 1890
I WILLIAM HENRY STAPLES, of Taita, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next Licensing Meeting to be holden at Lower Hutt, on the 3rd day of June, 1890, apply for a certificate authorising the issue of renewal of a Publican”s License for the house situate at Taita, the property of George Buck, and known by the sign of the Travellers” Rest Hotel, containing 19 rooms, exclusive of those required for the use of the family.
Dated this 24th day of April, 1890.

Evening Post 17 February 1893
I FRANK GASCOIGNE MILNE, of the Taila, Lower Hutt, being the holder of a Publican”s License in respect of the house and premises situate at the Taita, and known as the Travellers” Rest Hotel, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next Licensing Meeting to be holden at the Resident Magistrate”s Court, on the tenth (10th) day of March, 1893, apply for a transfer of the said License from myself to Mary Guilford, of the Taita, Lower Hutt, my appointee.
Dated this 6th day of February, 1893.

Evening Post 28 March 1893
The annual dinner given by the United Hunt Club to the farmers in the Taita district who have allowed the members of the club to run over their grounds, was held in the Travellers” Rest Hotel last evening, and proved a very successful affair. There was a large attendance, including a number of club members, who drove out in one of Lane”s brakes. As the weather was very fine, the drive out and back was thoroughly enjoyed The room in which the dinner was laid was decorated with ferns and flowere, and Mrs. Guilford served up a really capital repast. In the absence of the Master of the Hounds (Mr. H. D. Crawford), the chair was taken by Mr. D. G. A. Cooper, the Deputy-Master, who was supported on his right by Dr Purdy, and on his left by Dr. Newman, M.H.R. for the Hutt. Mr. D. R. Caldwell was in the vice-chair.
The toast of “The Queen” was drunk with musical honours.
The Chairman, in proposing the health of the farmers of the Taita district, said the club was very much indebted to the farmers for their kindness in allowing the huntsmen to run over their grounds. Mr. Milne, in replving, said that he had been 50 years in the Taita. He described the appearance of the district when he took up his residenco there, and gave some interesting reminencence of the early days. He had never met with a more liboral lot of people than the original purchasers under the New Zealand Company, and he was sorry to say that none of them had done well from a financial point of view. The speech was a capital one, and frequently sent all present into roars of laughter.
Mr. Reuben King gave the toast of “The United Hunt Club.”
The Chairman, in acknowledging the compliment, expressed a hope that the farmers of the Taita would join in the club”s meets.
The health of Mr. R. Roake, the Huntsman, was proposed by Mr. F. Dyer, who referred to that gentleman”s qualities as a genuine sport.
Mr. Roake, in replying, said that he had never been in a district where farmers were so kindly disposed towards huntsmen as the Taita settlers. He expressed a hope that before long the club would abolish the drag hunt, and hunt game.
The remaining toasts were — “Absent Friends,” proposed by Mr. C. L. Cuningham; ” The Club Secretary, Mr. Joseph Myers,” given by Dr. Gillon; “The Legislature” proposed by Mr. Milne and responded to by Dr. Newman; “The Ladies,” proposed by Mr. W. W. Cox and acknowledged by Mr. J. F. Mills; “The Press,” proposed by Dr. Newman; “The Hostess,” proposod by the Vice-Chairman; “Ladies of the Hunting Field,” proposed by Mr. H. Saunders, and replied to by Mr. Hawke; and “The Chairman” proposed by Mr. Milne.
Songs, recitations, and musical selections were given during the evening, the contributers being Drs. Purdy and Gillon. Messrs F. Dyer, W. Wakeford Cox, T. M Wilford, C. L. Cuningham, Attree, R. Roake, H. Saunders, Daysh, L. Hoffmann, and Miss ” Guilford.
The various accompaniments were admirably played by Mr. L. Hoffmann.
A very pleasant evening was brought to a close by the singing of “Auld Lang Syne.”

Evening Post 20 September 1895
This morning, before Messrs. E. T. Gillon, W. Hildreth, and L. L. Harris, Justices, Patrick L. Harnett was charged with having committed a breach of the Licensing Act at the Taita in having sold liquor without being licensed. Evidence was given that Harnett had bought the Travellers” Rest Hotel at the Taita from Mrs. Guilford, the former licensee, but though he was practically in charge of the hotel the transfer of the license was not completed at the time of the alleged breach of the Act. The Bench found that there had been a technical breach of the law, and fined Harnett 20s and £2 0a 4d costs.

Evening Post 24 December 1895
TENDERS will be received up to 7th January next for Erecting Two Double Chimneys for residence at Taita, on the site of the old Travellers” Rest Hotel.
Apply on the job to J. O. CARLSON

TENDERS will be received up to 7th January next for Plumbing Work in connection with building of residence at Taita, on the site of the old Travellers” Rest Hotel.
Apply on the job to

Evening Post 30 April 1931
Recent and old-time flooding in the Hutt Valley was the subject of an interview recently in “The Evening Post” with Mr. A. J. M”Curdy, who incidentally called to mind that the site of the old Barley Mow Hotel, Silverstream, is now monopolised by the Hutt River. And that observation prompted other memories. Mr. McCurdy, stated that in the old days of Wellington-Wairarapa traffic, via Hutt Valley, the chain of hotels in the valley, from north to south, was:—
Golden Fleece, Mrs. Wagg, on rise where the main road runs down to the Pakuratahi River. On right hand side of road, looking south. [The site can still be traced, through cellar pit and remains of foundations. The hotel is mentioned by the Greytown pioneers, who mention it as the last hotel before crossing Riniutaka divide in 1853.]
Mungaroa Hotel, Mrs. Collens, near where the Mungaroa tributary of the Hutt crosses the main road.
Shepherd”s Rest, James Brown (senr.), Upper Hutt. Mr. M”Curdy remarked that Mr. James Brown was the father of the late Mr. George Brown, of Upper Hutt, Hutt county councillor. [Mr. Brown and his hotel and Upper Hutt are also mentioned in the Greytown records of 1853.] The hotel was situated in Upper Hutt on the left hand side of the road, looking south; and the site is now occupied by Mr. Cotter”s plumbing premises. The hotel was afterwards known as the Criterion Hotel.
Highland Home, S. M”Hardy (sic), on main road at Wallaceville, near the site of the “Old Blockhouse.” The “Old Blockhouse,” with its loop-holes, is still standing, and a signboard on the main road directs sightseers to this relic of Maori War scares.
Barley Mow, Mr. Wyeth (senr.), the site of which one-time hotel is surveyed, consciously or unconsciously, by every railway passenger who looks upriver as the train swings over Silverstream railway bridge. This hotel used to be on the left-hand side of the road looking south, and the river used to flow west of the hotel and the road. In its” eastward swing the river has taken the place of both hotel and road, and the latter was moved eastward to its present location. Moving the road, said Mr. McCurdy, simply meant laying out a deviation through the paddocks to the east, and it was done so quickly that they discovered years afterwards that the road site at this point had never been properly conveyed. Traveller”s Rest, Mr. _, Taita, left side of main road looking south.
After that, the Lower Hutt hotels awaited the thirsty coach traveller.
“If anyone wishes to locate the Barley Mow site more exactly,” added Mr. McCurdy, “all he has to do is to look up-river as he crosses Silverstream railway bridge, and he will see, a few yards upstream, one little willow tree close to the river channel, but west of it, and quite distinct from the row of willows east of it. This willow springs from an old stump that used to flourish as a tree in the yard of the Barley Mow. The willow was east of the Hutt River until the river decided Otherwise. It will be seen that on the western side there is still a channel in which the Hutt flows when in flood. That channel crosses the toe of a moraine or fan of material carried down from the western hills. On this fan used to be a whare; it has gone where a Hutt flood took it. Another whare, further east, was also carried away by flood.
“It may also be of interest to know that the above-mentioned Highland Home Hotel, Wallaceville, was afterwards called the Railway Hotel. The railway was being built at the time and it was thought that Wallaceville would be the principal station. But the late Hutt county councillor, George Brown, gave the Department of Railways 28 acres of land at Upper Hutt adjacent to the Rhodes estate, and Upper Hutt became the principal station. Land for railway purposes at Silverstream was given by Mr. Todd, and that fact helped to secure a station there. CANOEING IN UPPER HUTT.
“Talking about big floods in the past, would it surprise you to know that on one occasion the Maoris of Maori Bank (no Maoris there now!) came to the Upper Hutt saleyards site in a canoe!”

Wedding Venue Bookings

To book a wedding email
or phone Daphne Daysh 04 977 2055 or 027 687 2055