more under query taita club
Evening Post 21 August 1895
TAITA TENNIS CLUB.
A CONCERT will be given in the Oddfellows” Hall, Lower Hutt, on SATURDAY, 24th August, in aid of the above Club. Miss Sampson, late of Gee”s Company, has been induced to appear. Addmission – Front seats, 1s 6d; Back, 1s.
Evening Post 18 February 1901
The tennis court on Mrs. Welch”s property at Taita has been
greatly improved during the past few weeks. A strong club has
been formed in the district, and on Saturday afternoon the
court was reopened with some ceremony by Mr. Field M.H.R.
Evening Post 24 November 1923
On the Courts
ONE OF THE OLDEST!
“The president, the committee, and members of the Taita Lawn Tennis Club request the honour” — that was the beginning of an invitation to the opening of the Taita Club”s new concrete courts on 1st December. The writer, consequently, was reminded of days gone by, in which the Taita Club figured largely. Some of the old-timers will tell you that those were the days when teams journeyed far and wide for their tennis, and jolly days they were. One and all looked forward to the jaunt to the Taita Club”s grounds, and the tennis players of that noted, club took good care that you had the time of your life in every way. It did not matter much who won, and often as not, it was only the secretary who knew for a positive fact — he knew only because it was his duty to keep club records. The Taita Club is one of the oldest in the district, and although, as in “The Brook,” some may come and some may go, it would appear — and let us hope so — that the Taita Club will “go on for ever.” The same spirit is there now as in the past, and after all is said and done that is what counts in keeping anything in the rays of the sun. Town players always came home tired, but happy, laden with flowers, and joyous within themselves as they had arrived at the end of a perfect day. It was always so coming home from Taita.
Evening Post 5 December 1923
SOME FURTHER RESULTS
NEW COURTS AT TAITA
Local and visiting players spent a pleasant afternoon at Taita on Saturday, when the new courts were opened. In welcoming the visitors, Mr. M. Denniston also thanked the local residents for their generosity in allowing the club the necessary concessions without which the courts could not have been constructed, and also for a loan of £50 free of interest. Keen as were the club members when they had only two courts, he believed they would be heard much and more of with tha additional two courts just completed. The club had donated £10 10s towards tha Miramar scheme.
Reference was made to the splendid action of Mr. Mabey in donating half an acre of land for the club”s courts, which Mr. Peacock described as the two best club courts he had played on in Wellington. They were a great credit to the district, and for their preparation much credit was due to the voluntary efforts of the male members of the club, of whom there were only nine.
The official set between J. C. Peacock and Miss M. Curtis against L. France and Miss M. Tracy resulted in a win for the latter pair, 6 – 5. Other games were played and resulted as follow:— L. and D. France beat Peacock and Salmond, 7 – 5; Salmond and Miss Travers beat Melody and Mrs. Melody, 6 – 4.
Evening Post 8 December 1923
On the Courts
A PROGRESSIVE CLUB.
Last Saturday the Taita Club held a gala day, and the season was declared opened by putting the club”s two new courts into commission. This little club has shown what can be done by enthusiasm and good sportsmanship. When it was found that the club”s ground was too small, Mr. J. C. Mabey generously came to the club”s assistance and gave half an acre for courts. The first sod was turned on the 3rd June and ever since the club members have been hard at it excavating, levelling, grading, and concreting. Even when some workers were paid, the wages, some £43, was presented to the club. When one looks at the club”s membership, which is 11 senior and four junior men, and five senior and 16 junior ladies, one wonders if they are all super beings, as it is simply wonderful the amount of work that has been done. Quite a good gathering of prominent players from the city attended the opening, and one and all speak most highly of the courts and the hospitality extended. J. C. Peacock congratulated members upon having the finest club courts in Wellington, and remarked that the surface was most beautifully true. The club mascot, Angus Burgess (nine years of age), took his share of the work, and has been an earnest toiler every week-end. The club has a nice little pavilion with men”s and ladies” dressing-rooms. Notwithstanding the heavy liabilities that the club has faced, M. E. Denniston, the president, announced that they would raise £10 10s towards the Miramar Courts. That in itself shows the fine spirit of the club.
Evening Post 3 October 1925
The Taita Club.
The sixth annual general meeting of the Taita Club was held last week, and there was a large attendance of members. The club”s finances showed a healthy position, and the prospects for the coming season appear very bright. Several new members were elected. The election of officers was as follows Patron, Mr. J, C. Mabey; president, Mr. M. E. Denniston; vice-presidents, Messrs. T. M. Wilford, A. Gadsby, D. Buck, J. Mitchell, and A. Burgess; hon. secretary and treasurer, Mr. C. W. Burgess, hon auditor, Mr. R. C. Burgess. The Taita Club is blessed with live wires for its officers, and the members are naturally all of the very active variety. They are always looking for matches with other clubs, and anyone lucky enough to be in a team that visits the Taita Club during any week-end is always anxious for another such jaunt. The club secretary, whose address is Taita, invites the secretaries of clubs to communicate with him should their members be desirous of spending a day in sunny Taita. It is hoped that more interclub matches will be played this year, and club secretaries should make an early application for dates and other particulars.