Wellington Independent 13 January 1866
THE HUTT FETE.
the amenities of Peter Laing”s hospitable villa,”
The smallest, but not the least hungry of the crowd, were the children of the Lower Hutt and Taita Sunday schools, who were in their glory, and throughly seemed to enjoy the good things supplied to them.
The fete was an entire success; the proceeds, which, as we have said before, will be devoted to the repairs of St. James” Church, amounted to over 120 pounds
Wellington Independent 24 November 1873
A correspondent writes, under date 20th November:— At the conclusion of the afternoon servioe on Sunday, the Rev Mr Fancourt, on behalf of the children attending the Sunday school, presented Mr John Rayner with a magnificently illustrated Bible, as a token of their appreciation of his services as Superintendent of the Sunday school for the last fifteen years. Inside the cover there was a scroll containing 150 names of scholars that had been in attendance, but these do not comprise all the names. Mr Fancourt, in a few appropriate remarks, pointed out the value of such self-sacrificing labors in a practical directions. Mr Beetham (Hutt) explained that the Bible had been purchased with money collected by the Sunday school children, and was entirely the result of their own little subscriptions. Mr Rayner expressed his gratitude for the valuable volume which had been given him, and which he would prize highly as coming from those whom he had endeavored to instruct in accordance with its precepts.
The departure of Mr and Mrs Williams, for Sanson, will be felt by many as a loss to the neighborhood, as both were efficient teachers, and had conducted the school for upwards of three years with great credit to themselves and satisfaction to the parents. I hope they will be equally successful at Sanson, and I confess to feeling a deep interest in the welfare of this “small farm association,” and all other special settlements. In other provinces, religion and race have been found to be the best bonds for keeping little communities together. Where a minister formed the connecting link, the settlement has invariably prospered; in other cases language has kept them united, as in the case of German and Scandinavian immigrants. It remains to be seen whether a band of British settlers can work in harmony for the common weal, and become as thriving and prosperous as those possessing a common creed or speaking a foreign language.
Wellington Independent 30 January 1874
The children attending the Wesleyan Sunday
schools at the Hutt and Taita assembled, on
Anniversary Day, at their schools, and then
marched to Mr Parker”s paddock, where a
plentiful repast had been provided for
them, and where they all heartily enjoyed
themselved. Harmless games of all sorts
were indulged in, and tents were erected to
shelter the more delicate children and such
of their aged friends as had come to see
them, for a sharp breeze was blowing over
the flat, and the paddock, denuded of its
natural bush, was but sparingly sheltered
with trees. After the picnic in the paddock
a tea meeting was held in the Wesleyan
Sunday schoolroom, which was filled more
than once with friends of the Sunday
schools. Trays had been provided by
Mesdames Collings, Hollard, Frethy, and
Coulter, and there were some very fine
strawberries and other fruits on the
tables, which shows that the Hutt orchards
are still as productive as ever. The Rev J.
B Richardson, pastor of the Hutt, presided;
and there were a number of clerical
visitors and teachers from the surrounding
districts present, though no public
intimation had been given; and the usual
agreeable interchange of conversation
passed. The members of the Hutt
congregation are now collecting funds for
building a larger chapel.
Wellington Independent 12 February 1874
The annual fete given to the children attending the Church of England Sunday schools at the Hutt and Taita, was held on Tuesday, at the Taita, on the farm of Mr John Liverton, who had kindly lent it for that purpose. The tea was laid in a capacious barn, which was tastefully decorated with evergreens. About 300 persons were present, and partook of the tea which was supplied with the usual liberality of country treats. A number of visitors from Wellington were present, showing the interest which they take in the welfare of the country schools. A cricket match was also played between the Hutt and Taita schools, which resulted in a victory for the former.
Evening Post 11 April 1885
ST. JAMES” CHURCH,
A SPECIAL FLORAL SERVICE for the children attending the respective Sunday Schools of Petone, Taita, and Lower Hutt will be held at St. James” Church, Lower Hutt, on SUNDAY AFTERNOON next, at a quarter-past 3 o”clock.
Parents and all other are cordially invited.
E. S. CROSS,
Evening Post 15 July 1891
ST. JAMES”, LOWER HUTT.
The annual meeting of the parishioners of the above parish was
held at the schoolroom, Lower Hutt, on Monday evening, the chair being taken by the Incumbent (Rev. J. Jones). The report and balance-sheet were read by Mr. Cheesman, and after several of those present had expressed their views, both were adopted as read.
The report presented by the Vestry was a very lengthy
one, and was to the effect that a considerable improvement had
taken place in the financial condition of the parish, the
balauce of liabilities over assets having been reduced by about
£65, only about £50 being required to extinguish all
liabilities, and this was expected to be accomplished during
the present year. The increased revenue was mainly derived from seat rents and offertories at St. James” and subscriptions from
Petone. The extinction of the debt to the Diocesan Pension
Fund, amounting to £27 17s 6d, was due to the efforts of the
ladies” sewing bee. A large sum had also been obtained by means
of entertainments. The liability now existing is mainly made up
of an overdraft arranged to meet the punctual payment of
assessment and other regular calls. The Taita Church was
found to require immediate repair, and the Vestry authorised an
effort for its being substantially repaired. Funds to enable
this being done were raised by means of a donation from the
ladies” sewing bee, and supplemented by other sources, an old
parishioner who was now in England having sent a donation of
goods, which had realised £10. Some improvements were desired
in the Petone Churchroom, and a fund to enable those to be
carried out had been, raised by local special effort. The
rights of the parishioners in the churchyards had received
attention, and regulations for this purpose had been drawn up,
and would come into force when the Taita Cemetery was ready for
use. Tho portion of the cemetery allotted to the Church had
been placed under the control of the Vestry. Useful work had
been done by the Petone Sub-Vestry, the organisation of
collection being very efficient. A misunderstanding of a
financial nature had to some extent disturbed the harmony of
that part of the parish with the rest, and the settlement of
the matter would fall on the incoming Vestry. Regular services
had been maintained with the assistance of Messrs. K. Wilson,
W. F. Cheesman, J. C. Small. C. P. Powles, H. Gaby, and E. B.
Brown as lay readers. A long series of wet Sundays had
affected the attendance and also the offertories in the early
part of the year, the services at Christ Church on several
occasions being omitted. On acconnt of the difficulty in
providing teachers, the morning Sunday school services at St.
James” had been discontinued. Mrs. Jones continues to
superintend the St. James” school, while the Petone one was
supervised by Mr. Jenkins, the infants at the latter being
efficiently managed by Mrs. P. Smith. Christ Church school was
under the management of Miss A. Welch, Mrs. Rush, and Mr. A.
S. Pyke. The voluntary services of Mrs. Rush and Miss Welch as
organists at Christ Church, and Mr. Sherwin as choirmaster at
Potone, were commended to the grateful acknowledgment of the
parishioner. An engagement stipulating that as soon as
practicable the assessment should be increased to as to enable
a stipend worthy of the parish to be given to the incumbent, it
had not been possible to carry out as yet, but as a matter of
simple justice the Vestry commended the matter to the
consideration of the parishioners, the duty becoming more
urgent with the delay. The thanks of the parish were due to the
lady collectors for their services, and the attention of the
incoming Vestry was invited to the desirableness of further
developing this branch of parish work. The Vestry desired to
record their sense of the loss which the parish had sustained
by the death of Sir W. Fitzherbert, who in the earlier days had
taken an active part in parish matters, and as long as his
health had permitted had been regular in his attendance at
A vote of thanks was passed to the ladies”
sewing bee for the services rendered by them during the year.
A long discussion ensued as to the necessity for further services at Petone Churchroom, and a resolution was passed that the incoming Vestry take into immediate consideration the urgent necessity of further administration in the Petone subdivision of the parish.
Mr. W. F. Cheesman was re-appointed incumbent”s church warden, and Mr. J. R. Ransom was re-elected parishioners” churchwarden. The Vestry elected were as follows:— Messrs. W. A. Fitzherbert, A. Collett, J. Wilkins, S. C. Barraud (Lower Hutt); R. C. Kirk and E. J. Jenkins (Petone); S. Death (Taita). Auditors, Messrs. Whitton and Price.
Votes of thanks having been passed to the Sunday school teachers, lady collectors, members of the choirs, and also to the members of the Christ Church Union, the meeting terminated. At a meeting of the Vestry later on, Capt. Humfrey and Messrs. W. A. Fitzherbert and W. F. Cheesman were elected nominators.
Evening Post 8 Janury 1921
HUTT RIVER BOARD
POLLING BOOTHS FOR ELECTION AND POLL
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that for the election and poll to be held on Tuesday, 11th January, 1921, polling places:-
1. Hutt River Board Office, Lower Hutt
2. The Baptist Schoolroom, Buick-street, Petone
3. Church of England Schoolroom, Taita
4. Hutt County Offices, Lambton-qy., Wellington.
Polling hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
J. D. AVERY,
Evening Post 14 November 1928
The meeting of the troops and packs are held at the Troop Hall, Richmond Scout Den, with the exception of No. 4 Troop and No. 3 Pack (Taita), which meet at the Church of England Sunday School Room, Taita, on Wednesday evenings.