The Heretaunga Mounted Rifle Yolunteers (sic) was formed in the middle of 1884, and was gazetted on the 1st of January, 1885, with its headquarters at the Lower Hutt. The name Heretaunga is the Maori word for Hutt River. On its formation the Corps was called the Heretaunga Light Horse Cavalry, the first officers being Captain G. H. Scales, Lieutenants C. Izard and J. Pringle. After some seven years the Corps was changed from a cavalry to a mounted infantry company, all necessary changes being made in uniform, bridles, etc. Before the opening of the Wellington-Manawatu Railway, the Corps went into camp on two occasions respectively at Wanganui and New Plymouth, several days being occupied on the march, both going and returning. Of the sixty original members of the troop, not one remains in connection with it now. This is in consequence of repeated removals from the district, necessitating resignations. The present strength of the company as disclosed by Colonel Fox”s report for 1895, shows two officers and forty non-commissioned officers and rank and file. The report on the condition of the Corps is summed up in one word, “good.” Captain John Coleman, of the Garrison Artillery, is the drill instructor of the Company. The Heretaunga Mounted Rifle Volunteers are now under the command of Lieutenant Hyde.
from web site http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-Cyc01Cycl-t1-body-d4-d17-d3.html
Evening Post 28 November 1904
The Heretaunga Mounted Rifles completed their annual course of training yesterday. On Saturday afternoon, Lieutentant-Colonel Webb inspected the corps at their camp at Taita, after which sports were held. In the evening a dance and promenade concert was held in the Taita Hotel. Several members who did not go into camp have been called upon to pay an amount equal to the capitation which the corps would have earned had they attended the parades.
Wedding Venue Bookings
To book a wedding email
or phone Daphne Daysh 04 977 2055 or 027 687 2055