Aa St James Church,

AA St James Church
b:
d:
Biography
St James Church articles on paperspast. 1st article saw with St

James Church query was dated 24 April 1850
-
St James Church, River Hutt

Record Title : Wakefield, Edward Gibbon 1796-1862
Deed of gift of land to Messrs T B Hutton, J P R Barton, S S Braithwaite, A H L Collett, H Taylor in trust for Church of England parsonage in Hutt Valley
Display Dates : 1855
Reference Number : MSI-Papers-2382
Issue Restriction : Unrestricted
Collection Status : COLLECTION
Issue Status : Issuable ITEM
Linear Metres : 0.01
Quantity : 1 folder(s)
Physical Description : Holograph and typescript
Scope and Contents : Also a typescript copy of the deposition of money held in trust
Names : Wakefield, Edward Gibbon, 1796-1862 (Creator)
Hutton, Thomas Biddulph (Rev), 1824-1886 (Contributor)
Barton, J P R fl 1855 (Contributor)
Braithwaite, S S, fl 1855 (Contributor)
Collett, A H L fl 1855 (Contributor)
Anglican Church in Aotearoa New Zealand and Polynesia (Subject)
Subjects : Land use - New Zealand - Wellington Region
Anglican Communion - New Zealand - Wellington Region
Places : Lower Hutt
Provenance : Transferred from Misc MS R16
Institution : Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand
from web site http://tapuhi.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/spydus/FULL/GLOBAL/OPCOMB/11/8533,10 accessed: 30 May 2011

Record Title : Sellar, W. M.
Photographs of Masterton and St. James Church in Lower Hutt.
Reference Number : PAColl-5201
Quantity : 8 b&w copy negative(s)
Scope & Contents : Seven photographs of Masterton and one of Saint James Church in Lower Hutt.
Restrictions : Unrestricted
Child Record : Go to Child Records
Collection Status : COLLECTION
Issue Status : GROUP of Issuable Items
Collection Arrangement : Negatives at 1/2-031188 to 031195
Finding Aids : File prints available in Pictorial Reference Service.
Subjects : Church buildings
Place : Masterton
Lower Hutt
from web site http://tapuhi.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/spydus/FULL/GLOBAL/OPCOMB/14/249886,128 Accessed: 30 May 2011

Record Title : St James'' Anglican Church, Lower Hutt
Reference Number : PA3-0306
Display Dates : ca 1890s
Quantity : 1 b&w original photographic print(s)
Physical Description : Silver gelatin print
Scope & Contents : St James Church, Woburn Road, Lower Hutt, circa 1890s. Taken by unidentified photographer.
Restrictions : Unrestricted
File Print : File print available in Turnbull Library Pictures (42. Lower Hutt. Churches. Anglican. St James ; PFP-019223)
Provenance : MacMorrah donation
Collection Status : COLLECTION
Issue Status : Issuable ITEM
Digital Copy : Digital copy available
Copy Negative : Copy Negative (1/2-080063-F)
Names : St James'' Anglican Church (Lower Hutt, N.Z.) (Subject)
Subjects : Anglican Communion - New Zealand - Wellington Region
Church architecture
Place : Lower Hutt
Image/Type : Portraits
Media/Processes : Cabinet card photographs
Digital Objects : View archived copy online
from web site http://tapuhi.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/spydus/FULL/GLOBAL/OPCOMB/14/292810,138 Accessed 30 May 2011

Record Title : St James Anglican Church, Lower Hutt
Reference Number : 1/2-011192-F
Display Dates : [ca 1900]
Quantity : 1 b&w original negative(s)
Physical Description : Film negative
Scope & Contents : St James'' Anglican Church, Lower Hutt, circa 1900. Taken by unidentified photographer.
Historical Notes : Note on back of file print reads: "Opened 1880. Burnt down 1946 (7 June)".
Restrictions : Unrestricted
File Print : File print available in Turnbull Library Pictures (42 Lower Hutt. Churches. Anglican. St James ca 1900 ; PFP-019231)
Collection Status : COLLECTION
Digital Copy : Digital copy available
Names : St James'' Anglican Church (Lower Hutt, N.Z.) (Subject)
Subjects : Anglican church buildings - New Zealand - Wellington Region
Place : Lower Hutt
Digital Objects : View archived copy online
from web site http://tapuhi.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/spydus/FULL/GLOBAL/OPCOMB/14/575466,246 Accessed: 30 May 2011


Burials at St James Anglican Church

JOHNSON

Hutt Valley Cemetery Record Robert Johnson, Date: 7 Jun 1877, St James Anglican, Lower Hutt, Burial Records

Evening Post 8 June 1877
FATAL ACCIDENT AT BELMONT.
A melancholy accident occurred at Belmont this morning, by which a settler named Johnson lost his life. The intelligence which has reached town on the subject is somewhat meagre, but we understand that the deceased left the Waterloo Hotel at 6 o''clock last evening for Belmont, driving his horse and cart. He was perfectly, sober at the time, but it is stated that some time later he was seen lying at the bottom of the cart helplessly under the influence of liquor. This morning he was found lying with his horse and cart at the bottom of a deep gully at the foot of Belmont Hill. He was quite dead when he was discovered, and it was evident that his horse and cart, being left to follow their own devices, had got over the edge of the bank by some means or other, and rolled to the bottom, and that he had been killed by the fall. An inquest will be held at 10 a.m., to-morrow. The deceased was formerly a soldier in the 99th Regiment, subsequently exchanging into the 65th while the latter regiment was in New Zealand. He obtained his discharge in Wellington, and was appointed one of the warders of the Wellington Gaol under Mr. Micaiah Read, which office he held until about seven years ago, when he resigned and went to live on a piece of land he had purchased in the neighborhood of Belmont. He since that time has gained a livelihood by the sale of firewood and produce. He was returning home after taking a load into town in his cart, when he met with the accident which caused his death.

Evening Post 11 June 1877
In our paragraph touching the accidental death of Robert Johnson, who was killed by falling over a precipice at Belmont, it was stated, on information supplied to us, that the deceased was seen in a state of intoxication on the night before his death. We now learn that at the inquest three witnesses, who were among the last to see deceased alive, declared on oath that he was perfectly sober. We have much pleasure in giving publicity to their evidence, in justice to the unfortunate man who met his end in such a melancholy way.

McGREGOR

Hutt Valley Cemetery Record James Christian McGregor, Date: 26 Sep 1888, St James Anglican, Lower Hutt, Burial Records

Evening Post 27 September 1888
FUNERAL NOTICE
THE Friends of Alexander McGregor are respectfully invited to attend the Funeral of his infant son, James Christian which will leave his parents residence, Oxford-terrace, at 1 p.m. for Lower Hutt Cemetery, passing Lower Hutt Station at 3 p.m. on Friday.


MANNING

Hutt Valley Cemetery Record John Slade Manning, Date: 6 Jul 1896, St James Anglican, Lower Hutt, Burial Records
-
Monumental Record Reference: 26

Evening Post 6 July 1896
MANNING.- On 6th instant, at Seafield, Petone, John Slade Manning; aged 82 years
-
FUNERAL NOTICE
THE Friends of the late John Slade Manning are invited to attend his Funeral, which will leave his late residence, Seafield, Petone, on Wednesday, 8th inst, at 3.15 p.m., for St. James'' Cemetery, Lower Hutt.
J. HOUNSLOW,
Undertaker, Jackson-st., Petone.
-
OBITUARY. MR. J. S. MANNING, J.P.
With much regret the friends of Mr. John Slade Manning, J.P., of Seafield, Petone, will hear of his death, which occurred at an early hour this morning. His end was not unexpected, as he had been confined to his house for some months past with a troublesome abscess on the leg. This causing haemorrhage, yesterday afternoon he became unconscious, and passed away in the presence of his family a few hours later. Up to a year ago Mr. Manning had led a very active life, notwithstanding his advanced age. He was born in Wiltshire in 1814, and emigrated in 1839 to New South Wales. For many years he was engaged in farming in that colony, and in the western district of Victoria, and for a year acted as postmaster at Warrnambool. Mr. Manning returned to England in 1859, and after being married he came to this colony in 1860, taking up a run in Southland. He retired from sheepfarming in 1875, and settled for four years in Invercargill. After a short residence in Wanganui, he came to Wellington, aud in 1879 bought from Mr. Barton a large property in Petone, forming a considerable part of the town, and here he lived till his death. The late Mr. Manning took an active interest in the progress of the growing district, and was a member of the first Town Board of Petone in 1880, being also for some time Chairman of the School Committee. Having been a Justice of the Peace since his arrival in the colony, he sat regularly in that capacity at the Hutt Court for many years. The Church of England in the district has been actively and consistently supported by himself and his family. Mrs. Manning died in 1885, and Mr. Manning is now survived by a family of three sons and five daughters.

-

Hutt Valley Cemetery Record Kate Lucy Manning, Date: 8 Aug 1937 (sic), St James Anglican, Lower Hutt, Burial Records
-
Monumental Record Date: 6 Aug 1937, Reference: 26

Evening Post 9 August 1937
MANNING.- On August 6, 1937 (suddenly), at her residence, Johnsonville, Kate Lucy, eldest daughter of the late J. S. Manning, formerly of Petone.
-
MANNING.- The Funeral of the late Kate Lucy Manning will take place at the St. James Churchyard Cemetery, at the conclusion of service, which will commence at 11 a.m. Tomorrow (Tuesday), August 10, 1937. J. R. Croft, Ltd., Funeral Directors, Hutt and Petone. Telephones 63-828 and 62-296

-

Hutt Valley Cemetery Record Mary Ann Manning, Date: 23 Dec 1885, St James Anglican, Lower Hutt, Burial Records
-
Monumental Record Reference: 26

Evening Post 23 December 1885
MANNING.- On 23rd December, at Seafield, Petone, Mary Anne, wife of J. S. Manning, in her 49th year.

-
SELWOOD

Hutt Valley Cemetery Record Mary Ann Selwood, Date: 24 May 1925, St James Anglican, Lower Hutt, Burial Records
-

Evening Post 23 December 1865
-
Evening Post 8 January 1866
-
Evening Post 6 October 1866
-
Evening Post 10 January 1867
query St James

--

page 5
...
CHRIST CHURCH IN ST JAMES''S PARISH
Some week after the 1855 earthquake, at a meeting of church members held on 15 February at St. James, River Hutt, the first Church Committee was elected: it included Messrs Buckridge and Welch as representatives of Christ Church, Taita. Church members, in 1859, successfully petitioned the Diocesan Synod to form the Lower Hutt and Taita districts into an ecclesiastical parish. In their petition they undertook to meet certain obligations, including meeting expenses of a resident clergyman and the cost of maintaining the two churches. They found these obligations difficult to meet during the 1860''s and 1870''s, when shortage of money was a recurring problem.

At a time when travel was by horse or on foot, the size of the parish (from Petone to Taita (sic - see note below)) made it difficult for one man to minister both churches. Ill health forced the Rev T. B. Hutton to retire in March 1858 and the parish was without a resident clergyman until 1861.
The Bishop requested Mr Barton, a lay reader, to conduct services at Christ Church. Services at St James''s were conducted by visiting clergy only occasionally and the building, neglected during this period, deteriorated and later needed costly repairs.

Page 6
Entries in vestry minutes suggest that relations between the two congregations were not always amicable. The Vestry recorded its displeasure when Christ Church''s contributions were in arrears or the churchyard needed attention. In September 1871 a meeting was held at Christ Church to "consider the advisability of constituting Taita into a separate parish with Christ Church managing its own affairs" but decided "the time had not yet arrived for such an arrangement." The next proposal to exclude Christ Church from the parish was made in 1885, when it was suggested Taita should be included in the parish of Upper Hutt (sic - see note below). Again no action was taken. Christ Church remained within St James''s parish until 1950 when boundaries changed and Taita Parish was established. (14)

Events that led to the creation of the new parish were to threaten the continued existence of Christ Church on its original site. State housing replaced farms during the period 1944-47 and the extension of the railway from Waterloo to Taita, completed in 1947, cut the Church off from the large new residential area. In 1945, however, attention was focused on celebrating Christ Church''s centenary.

-
Notes and References

(14) Vestry Minutes 1871, 1885
from ''Christ Church, Taita and the Christ Church Preservation Society. An outline of the their history. Written by Marion Knight in 1999.''
-
-
Ed Note
It seems more likely that Upper Hutt was included in the Parish so I think the Parish covered Petone to Wairarapa as stated in the Wellington Independent 25 October 1859. I am unsure when Upper Hutt became a separate parish it could have been in 1863 as I have not heard of Rev. A. Knell being at Christ Church or St James


Wellington Independent 1 March 1854
CHURCH OF ENGLAND MEETING
...
THE HUTT SCHOOL
The report from the Local Committee of the Hutt School has been furnished by the Rev. T. B. Hutton, as is as follows:-
"With deep thankfulness the Committee have to report the present well being of the School.
During the past year, the site of the School-house has been presented by R. Barton, Esq., "for educational purposes connected with the Church of England."
The School house has been enlarged, and is now double its former size; it has also been thoroughly painted.
An efficient Master and Mistress have been appointed at a salary of 100 pounds per annum.
There has been a steady increase in the number of children admitted; and in every way the blessing of God has rested upon the endeavours used to promote His glory, and the welfare of his church, by imparting to the children of this didtrict a sound religious and secular education.
Numbers of names on the books 52
Average weekly attendance 44
In conclusion the Committee beg to thank all who have helped to forward the cause of education in this district, and to request a continuance of their help and prayers that God''s blessing may ever rest upon their work."
RECEIPTS.
Subscriptions for enlarging School-house - 43 pounds 11s 0d
Grant from Archdeaconry board - 5 pounds 0s 0d
Aid from general Subscriptions - 3 pounds 10s 9d
52 pounds 1s 9d
-
Annual Subscriptions in support of St. James'' School - 20 pounds 8s 0d
Donations for ditto - 0 pounds 17s 6d
School receipts from October 3, 1853, to February 6, 1854 - 27 pounds 12s 4d
1st and 2nd instalment of Grant of 40 pounds from General Finance Committee, Wellington - 20 pounds 0s 0d
Entrance Fees from May 2nd, 1853, up to February 6, 1854 - 2 pounds 13s 0d
71 pounds 10s 10d
-
Expenditure
By account for Timber, Building, &c. - 43 pounds 15s 0d
Subscriptions promised, not paid - 2 pounds 6s 0d
Painting School House - 6 pounds 0s 0d
52 pounds 1s 9p
-
By aid to Building Fund - 3 pounds 10s 9d
Salary paid to School Master and Mistress, from August 22, 1853, to February 6, 1854 - 44 pounds 0s 4d
Writting materials and sundries - 1 pound 0s 3d
For Books, Maps, &c. - 5 pounds 7s 3d
Cash in hands of Treasurer - 17 pounds 12s 1d
71 pounds 10s 10d
...

Wellington Independent 25 October 1854
Thursday last, the 19th inst., was observed throughout this Province as a Public day of solemn fast, humiliation and prayer. Divine Service was held at all places of worship in the Province, and "Prayers and supplications to the Divine Majesty, imploring His blessing on her Majesty''s arms, and the restoration of peace," were devoutly offered up. Collections were made at the various Churches on behalf of the widows and orphans of soldiers and sailors killed in the war, of which the following are the particulars:-
CHURCH OF ENGLAND
...
St James, Hutt 11 pounds 0 2
Christchurch (sic), Taitai, 1 pound 5 7
...

Wellington Independent 20 February 1858
CHURCH OF ENGLAND MEETING AT THE HUTT.- The adjourned Annual General Meeting of Members of the Church of England was, pursuant to advertisement in the Independent, held on Monday evening last, in the schoolhouse of St James'' District, River Hutt. The Rev. T. B. Hutton occupied the chair, and in opening the proceedings, drew attention to the two principal matters which would be brought before the meeting, namely, the consideration of some means of placing the Church of England School on a more permanent basis, and the resolutions which had been passed at the Wellington Church meeting, with regard to the nomination of Archdeacon Abraham to the proposed new Bishop. The Report of the out going Church Committee, was then read by the Secretary, Mr. Mills; and on the motion of Mr Beetham, seconded by Mr. G. Swanson, was adopted by the meeting. Messrs. Beetham and Cleland were elected Curators of St James'' Church and Messrs. Barton and Welch, of Christchurch (sic) at the Taita. In reply to a question of Mr. Corbett, the Chairman stated, that no official return had yet been made of the party elected to represent the Hutt at the General Synod; that a difficulty had risen from some of the voting papers from the Hutt not having reached the Returning Officer until after the preset? day, and the question whether such papers were ?, had been referred to the Bishop. Until his decision was given, it was uncertain which of the two candidates was elected. The election ? between Mr. Ludlam and Mr. Barton. A decision, in which many members present took part, then arose relative to the establishment of the Church School. It was stated that the Committee was in treaty? with a schoolmaster from the diocesan training institution of Oxford; and it was ? resolved, on the motion of Mr. Cleland, that a list of subscribers should be made out, to enable the Committee to guarantee a sufficient salary to the master. An opinion also was generally expressed, as to the desirableness of some modification in the Provincial Education Act, so as to entitle the school to a share of the public grant. Mr. Owen, seconded by Mr. Mills, then moved resolutions which were an echo of those adopted by the Wellington meeting, expressive of regret at the resignation of Archdeacon Hadfield on account of ill health, and cordially approving of the nomination of Archdeacon Abraham for election to the diocese of Wellington, on the recommendation of the Bishop of New Zealand. After a few words in support of the resolution from Mr. Beetham, they were put and adopted by the meeting. The Chairman? having given his benediction, the meeting then broke up.

Wellington Independent 25 October 1859
DIOCESAN SYNOD
Monday, 17th October, 1859
The Synod met at one o''clock pursuant to adjournment.
The Right Reverend the President opened the proceedings with prayer.
The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.
PETITION.
The PRESIDENT in accordance with the 4th statute of the first General Synod presented a petition from the Churches of Christ Church Hutt (sic) and St. James Taiti (sic), praying that the Synod would be pleased to constitute them into a separate parish.
Mr. ST. HILL moved that the petition just presented be read.
CAPTAIN SMITH seconded the motion which was agreed to.
The petition was read accordingly. In the petition it was agreed by the parties thereto, to pay the stipend of a clergyman, under certain stipulations, to keep the Insurances paid up, the parsonage in repair, and also to pay off in a period of seven years a debt of 200 pounds.
Mr. LUDLAM thought an error had been made in the petition the subject of repaying the 200 pounds had been mooted, but he did not think it had been so far agreed to as to warrant any decided promise to that effect.
The REV. A. BAKER In such a case he thought it would be more advisable to refer the petition back for amendment.
The PRESIDENT supposed the best course would have been to refer the petition to a select Committee whose duty it would be to advise the Synod as to how far and with what restrictions, the petition should be accepted; or perhaps a more preferable course would be, that if the Synod should appoint a Standing Committee, that the Committee should take action thereon, as soon as convenient; and that all future and similar petitions, should be referred to that committee to report upon.
MR. LUDLAM thought the petition should for the present be laid upon the table after the appointment of the Standing Committee, when, after such appointment had been made, that the petition could be referred thereto.
MR. CRAWFORD agreed to the suggestion of the last speaker, and moved the petition be laid on the table for the present. After a few words from Mr. Baker, who recommended the appointment of a Select Committee to receive and examine petitions, and from Mr. Stokes as to the usual mode of procedure in Legislative bodies, the motion was agreed to, and the petition was ordered to lie upon the table accordingly.
...

Wellington Independent 26 March 1861
DIVINE WORSHIP
WILL be Solemnised at St. James''s Church in the Hutt, and at the Church at the Taita, on Good Friday and Easter Day. At the Hutt at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m., at the Taita at 3 p.m., of each day.
March 26, 1861


Wellington Independent 13 January 1866
THE HUTT FETE.
...
the amenities of Peter Laing''s hospitable villa,''
...
The smallest, but not the least hungry of the crowd, were the children of the Lower Hutt and Taita Sunday schools, who were in their glory, and throughly seemed to enjoy the good things supplied to them.
...
The fete was an entire success; the proceeds, which, as we have said before, will be devoted to the repairs of St. James'' Church, amounted to over 120 pounds
...

Wellington Independent 10 January 1867
LOWER HUTT PARISH FETE
Will be held on Friday, 17th January, in Mr P. Laing''s ground, kindly for the occasion. The Band of the HUtt Rifle Volunteers have kindly promised their services for the day.
There will be dancing, croqet, crick, football and other sports. Gate to be opened at 11 a.m. and closed at 7.30 p.m.
Tickets, including admission and tea, 2s 6d; children, 1s 6d.
The profits will be devoted to provide an organ for St James'' Church.
-
Treasurer - Rev. J. E. Herring.
-
Committee -
Mrs Beetham
Mr G. Beetham
Mrs Braithwaite
Mr A. Braithwaite
Mrs Wm. Cleland
Mr H. Cleland
Mrs Collett
Dr Boor
Mrs Fitzherbert
Mr N. Grace
Mrs H. Jackson
Mr T. Mullins
Miss Riddiford
Mr A. Wilford
Mrs Stilling
Dr Wilford
Mrs Welch
Mr A. M. Smith
Mrs White
Mr N. Valentine
Tickets may be had from any of the Committee. If January 18th should prove wet, the Fete will be held on the following day.
W. ALFRED FITZGERALD,
Hon. Secretary.
January 9th, 1867.

Wellington Independent 2 April 1868
WANTED, an ORGANIST for St. James''s Church, the Hutt. Apply to the Rev. J. E. HERRING, the Parsonage

Wellington Independent 5 May 1868
St. JAMES'' CHURCH SUNDAY SCHOOL, LOWER HUTT. The teachers, Miss Sellar, Misses Riddiford, W. A. Fitzherbert, Esq, and other friends of the school assembled on Friday afternoon, April 24th, in the Church schoolhouse, and gave the children an afternoon and evening''s entertainment. Mr Mantell afforded them great delight by means of a magic lantern, and by reading some amusing pieces. The Rev. J. E. Herring distribed prizes to the following scholars, and a very pleasant evening was brought to a conclusion by singing the National Anthem:- 3rd class, girls — lst prize, Ellen Grace; 2nd prize, Harriet Ransom. 2nd class, girls — lst prize, Matilda Swafford; 2nd prize, Martha King; 2nd class boys - 1st prize, Vincent Ransom; 2nd prize, Henry W. Ellerm. 1st class — lst prize, Fred. Ellerm; 2nd prize, Albert Collett. Primer class, 1st division - 1st prize, Annie Elliott. Primer class, 2nd division - 1st prize, Eva Ransom; 2nd prize, Robert Relp (sic).

Wellington Independent 12 February 1874
The annual fete given to the children attending the Church of England Sunday schools at the Hutt and Taita, was held on Tuesday, at the Taita, on the farm of Mr John Liverton, who had kindly lent it for that purpose. The tea was laid in a capacious barn, which was tastefully decorated with evergreens. About 300 persons were present, and partook of the tea which was supplied with the usual liberality of country treats. A number of visitors from Wellington were present, showing the interest which they take in the welfare of the country schools. A cricket match was also played between the Hutt and Taita schools, which resulted in a victory for the former.


Evening Post 13 July 1874
A popular entertainment was given at the Masonic Hall, Lower Hutt, on Thursday evening, the proceeds going to St James'' Church Building Fund. The programme consisted of readings, songs, glees, and solos and duets on the piano. Miss R. Riddiford, Miss Julia Buck, Miss Julia Pyke (sic) and the Misses Riddiford gave the solos and duets, Mrs Major Clifford, Mrs Fancourt, Miss R. Riddiford, and Mrs Mudgway played the accompaniments. Mrs Major Clifford, Mr George Beetham, and Mr George Williams, of Sandon, gave several fine song; and Mr Beetham, sen, Mr Thomas Mason, Mr Horsfall, and Mr George Hedges some very select readings. The Rev Thomas Fancourt occupied the chair.


Evening Post 13 December 1876
THE Treasurer of the St. James'' Church, Lower Hutt, Building Fund desires to acknowledge the receipt of the following amounts towards the Fund: — £ s. d. £ s. d.
Proceeds of Amateur Concert, 19th Nov., 1875 £30 18s 0d
Proceeds of Christmas-tree, 22nd Jan., 1876 £44 5s 11d
Sub total £75 3s 11d
Mrs. Snelson £1 1s 0d
Mr. H. Collett ? 5s 0d
Mrs. Collett £1 1s 0d
Mr. Edward Collett £5 0s 0d
Mr. Jas. Collett £1 0s 0d
Mr. Aaron Collett £1 1s 0d
Mr. C. S. Collett £1 0s 0d
Mr. A. W. Collett £1 0s 0d
Mr. N. Valentine £5 5s 0d
Mr. P. Smith £2 10s 0d
Mr. R. Pettard £2 2s 0d
Mr. Thos. Frethey £1 0s 0d
A Friend £0 10s 0d
Mr. Jno. White £20 0s 0d
Mr. Jno. Cargill £2 2s 0d
Mrs. Inglis £0 5s 0d
Capt. Hewitt (for 1876) £6 0s 0d
Mrs. G. Pugsley £1 0s 0d
Mrs. Whitewood £1 0s 0d
Mr. Wm. Cleland £1 0s 0d
Mr. Jno. Russell £2 0s 0d
Mr. D. Peck £1 0s 0d
Mr. G. Peck £1 0s 0d
Mr. A. Cook £1 0s 0d
Mr. H. Waterman £0 5s 0d
Mrs. J. Mabey £0 10s 0d
Mrs. Gaskin £0 5s 0d
Miss S. Farrow £0 10s 0d
Mr. F. Farrow £0 10s 0d
Messrs. McEwen £1 0s 0d
Mr. R. Relf £1 0s 0d
Mr. Jno. Relf £0 10s 0d
Miss E. J. Relf £0 5s 0d
Mr. R. Relf £0 5s 0d
Mr. W. Bassett £0 10s 0d
Mr. A. Douglas 0 5s 0d
Mr. J. Gigger £0 5s 0d
Mrs. Charming £0 10s 0d
Mrs. M. J. Stevens £0 5s 0d
Miss E. Stevens £0 5s 0d
Mr. Jno. Stewart £0 10s 0d
Mr. Stephen Mudgway £1 1s 0d
Per Miss Appleton £4 0s 0d
Hon. C. J. Pharazyn ��25 0s 0d
Mr. P. Laing £5 5s 0d
Mr. Mawene £1 0s 0d
Petoni (sic) natives £0 13s 6d
Donation £0 1s 6d
Sub Total £108 13s 0d
Interest on deposits, 1875-76 £17 3s 2d
Previously acknowledged £317 19s 8d
Total £518 19s 9d

Evening Post 19 March 1880
We understand that as at present arranged his Lordship the Bishop of Wellington will consecrate the new church at the Lower Hutt on Sunday next. The style of the building is Early English. It consists of a nave 48ft 6in by 29ft, a chancel 20ft by 18ft two transepts, each 13ft 6in by 10ft, a vestry 12ft by 12ft, on south side, a porch 7ft by 10ft, and a tower 9ft by 9ft, supporting a spire 76ft high. The height of the nave from floor to ridge is 36ft. The interior of the building is lined with rimu. The wood is vanished, and has a very good effect, affording an excellent example of the beauty of New Zealand for these and kindred purposes. The work has been thoroughly well done, and reflects great credit on the architect, Mr. T. Turnbull, and the contractors, Messrs. O''Brien and Co. We congratulate the members of the English Church at the Hutt on having obtained such a convenient and suitable building to worship in.

Evening Post 6 July 1881
J. H. SHERWIN,
ORGANIST
Of St. James'' Church, Lower Hutt,
(From Messrs. Collard & Collard, Pianoforte Manufacturers, London),
PIANOFORTE TUNER AND TEACHER OF MUSIC,
LOWER HUTT
Tunings, Half-a-Guinea; or by the year,
Four Guineas.
Orders from Wellington puntually attended to.
-
City Warehouse, 26, Cheapside, E.C., London, W.,
16, Grosvenor-street, Grosvenor Square,
15th April, 1880.
We have much pleasure in stating that Mr. James Henry Sherwin has been engaged in our manufactory for a period of eight years; he is a mechani (sic) of far more than average ability, and we hope that his desire to establish himself in New Zealand will meet with much success, which we shall be glad to further by any means in our power.
COLLARD & COLLARD.


see Rev E. S. Cross

Evening Post 24 September 1886
query Hutt and Taita

Evening Post 31 March 1888
BAZAAR.
Under the Distinguished Patronage of Lady Jervois.
THE Bazaar, in aid of the Lower Hutt, Taita, and Petone Church Districts, will be held at St. James'' Schoolroom, Lower Hutt, on EASTER MONDAY, 2nd April, and two following days, and will be open each day from 2 to 6 p.m. and from 7 to 10 p.m.
Various attractive entertainments will be provided in connection with the Bazaar.
Admission, 1s; Children, 6d.
Contributions will be gladly received at the Parsonage, Lower Hutt, or by Mrs. Welch, Taita, and by Mrs. Comber, Petone

Evening Post 3 April 1888
A bazaar in aid of the Petone, Taita, and Lower Hutt church funds was opened yesterday in St. James'' Chnrchroom, Lower Hutt, by Miss Jervois, for whom Major Jervois officiated as spokesman. There was a very large gathering of ladies, but the sterner sex was not seen in great numbers. The stalls were loaded with a wonderful assortment of articles, useful and ornamental, and an energetic bevy of damsels lost no time in besieging the unwary to invest in their wares as soon as business was commenced, and a good sum was taken during the day. The ladies in charge of the stalls were Mesdames J. Jonas, Steenvelt, Gratton, Miller, H. Jackson, Bodman, E. J. Riddiford, Humfrey, Whitehead, W. A. Fitzherbert, Wilford, Welsh, senior, G. Welsh, Weston, Comber, Horne, and Lady Hector. Master Hector was in charge of the Fine Art Gallery. The church funds will no doubt be materially augmented before the close of the bazaar, which is in all respects creditable to those ladies and gentlemen who have been entrusted with its arrangements.

Evening Post 15 July 1891
PARISH MEETINGS.
ST. JAMES'', LOWER HUTT.
The annual meeting of the parishioners of the above parish was

held at the schoolroom, Lower Hutt, on Monday evening, the chair being taken by the Incumbent (Rev. J. Jones). The report and balance-sheet were read by Mr. Cheesman, and after several of those present had expressed their views, both were adopted as read.
The report presented by the Vestry was a very lengthy

one, and was to the effect that a considerable improvement had

taken place in the financial condition of the parish, the

balauce of liabilities over assets having been reduced by about

£65, only about £50 being required to extinguish all

liabilities, and this was expected to be accomplished during

the present year. The increased revenue was mainly derived from seat rents and offertories at St. James'' and subscriptions from

Petone. The extinction of the debt to the Diocesan Pension

Fund, amounting to £27 17s 6d, was due to the efforts of the

ladies'' sewing bee. A large sum had also been obtained by means

of entertainments. The liability now existing is mainly made up

of an overdraft arranged to meet the punctual payment of

assessment and other regular calls. The Taita Church was

found to require immediate repair, and the Vestry authorised an

effort for its being substantially repaired. Funds to enable

this being done were raised by means of a donation from the

ladies'' sewing bee, and supplemented by other sources, an old

parishioner who was now in England having sent a donation of

goods, which had realised £10. Some improvements were desired

in the Petone Churchroom, and a fund to enable those to be

carried out had been, raised by local special effort. The

rights of the parishioners in the churchyards had received

attention, and regulations for this purpose had been drawn up,

and would come into force when the Taita Cemetery was ready for

use. Tho portion of the cemetery allotted to the Church had

been placed under the control of the Vestry. Useful work had

been done by the Petone Sub-Vestry, the organisation of

collection being very efficient. A misunderstanding of a

financial nature had to some extent disturbed the harmony of

that part of the parish with the rest, and the settlement of

the matter would fall on the incoming Vestry. Regular services

had been maintained with the assistance of Messrs. K. Wilson,

W. F. Cheesman, J. C. Small. C. P. Powles, H. Gaby, and E. B.

Brown as lay readers. A long series of wet Sundays had

affected the attendance and also the offertories in the early

part of the year, the services at Christ Church on several

occasions being omitted. On acconnt of the difficulty in

providing teachers, the morning Sunday school services at St.

James'' had been discontinued. Mrs. Jones continues to

superintend the St. James'' school, while the Petone one was

supervised by Mr. Jenkins, the infants at the latter being

efficiently managed by Mrs. P. Smith. Christ Church school was

under the management of Miss A. Welch, Mrs. Rush, and Mr. A.

S. Pyke. The voluntary services of Mrs. Rush and Miss Welch as

organists at Christ Church, and Mr. Sherwin as choirmaster at

Petone, were commended to the grateful acknowledgment of the

parishioner. An engagement stipulating that as soon as

practicable the assessment should be increased to as to enable

a stipend worthy of the parish to be given to the incumbent, it

had not been possible to carry out as yet, but as a matter of

simple justice the Vestry commended the matter to the

consideration of the parishioners, the duty becoming more

urgent with the delay. The thanks of the parish were due to the

lady collectors for their services, and the attention of the

incoming Vestry was invited to the desirableness of further

developing this branch of parish work. The Vestry desired to

record their sense of the loss which the parish had sustained

by the death of Sir W. Fitzherbert, who in the earlier days had

taken an active part in parish matters, and as long as his

health had permitted had been regular in his attendance at

church ordinances.
A vote of thanks was passed to the ladies''

sewing bee for the services rendered by them during the year.
A long discussion ensued as to the necessity for further services at Petone Churchroom, and a resolution was passed that the incoming Vestry take into immediate consideration the urgent necessity of further administration in the Petone subdivision of the parish.
Mr. W. F. Cheesman was re-appointed incumbent''s church warden, and Mr. J. R. Ransom was re-elected parishioners'' churchwarden. The Vestry elected were as follows:— Messrs. W. A. Fitzherbert, A. Collett, J. Wilkins, S. C. Barraud (Lower Hutt); R. C. Kirk and E. J. Jenkins (Petone); S. Death (Taita). Auditors, Messrs. Whitton and Price.
Votes of thanks having been passed to the Sunday school teachers, lady collectors, members of the choirs, and also to the members of the Christ Church Union, the meeting terminated. At a meeting of the Vestry later on, Capt. Humfrey and Messrs. W. A. Fitzherbert and W. F. Cheesman were elected nominators.

Evening Post 26 November 1892
PARISH OF ST JAMES, LOWER HUTT
A BAZAAR
in aid of the Parish Fund
Will be held in the
ODDFELLOWS'' HALL, LOWER HUTT,
ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY,
9th and 10th December.
-
Open from 2 to 5, and from 7 to 10 p.m.
-
Admission, 6d; children, 3d.
-
Contributions may be sent to Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Wilford, Lower Hutt; Mrs. Bodmin, Taita; Mrs Humfrey, Blackbridge; and Lady Hector and Mrs. Whitehead, Petone.

Evening Post 19 July 1893
St. James'' Parish, Lower Hutt
The annual meeting of parishioners of St Jamas'', Lower Hutt, was held last evening, the Rev. Joshua Jones (Incumbent) presiding.
The report of the Vestry was read by the Chairman, and was to the effect that the Church''s finances showed considerable improvement. The year began with a deficiency on the ordinary parish account of £60 2s 3d, and a further special liability of £14 17s 11d at Petone. There was now only a liability of £17 10s on the parish account, while the special liability had ceased to exist. The credit for this was chiefly due to the ladies of Sewing Bee, who had supplied during the year £110 1s 2d. The Vestry hoped that in the ensuing year the income from ordinary sources might increase sufficiently to prevent the necessity of absorbing the proceeds of the ladies'' work in ordinary parochial expenditure. The offertories showed some improvement, and the income from seat rents had also increased, but that from subscriptions had somewhat fallen off, and the Vestry suggested that special attention should be paid to the improvement of the subscription list. The ladies of Taita were still devoting the proceeds of their special efforts to the improvement of their church. The attempt to obtain promises for the support of an assistant curate had met with fair success at Lower Hutt and Taita, but no canvass for this object had yet been made at Petone. If the assistance of an additional clergyman could not be obtained, it might be worth while to consider whether or not the Diocesan Synod should be asked to reduce the area of the parish, as it was now so large that no clergyman, of whatever vigour, zeal, or capacity, could meet its needs singlehanded. The balance-sheet, which was read by Mr. H. Jackson, showed that the receipts for the year had amounted to £576 17s 3d, the expenditure being £529 17s 3d, leaving a balance in hand of £47.
The report and balance-sheet were adopted, on the motion of Mr. Cheesman.
A report summarising the work done during tho past year, was read by the Chairman, and adopted.
The following officers were appointed for the ensuing year:��� Incumbent''s Churchwarden, Mr. H. Jackson; Parishioners'' Churchwarden, Mr. J. Ransom; Vestrymen, Captain Humfrey, Messrs. Wilkins, W. A. Fitzherbert, A. Collott (Hutt), R. Jenkins and J. G. Castles (Petone), S. Death (Taita); Auditors, Messrs. Whitton and Barraud.
On the motion of Mr. Cheesman, it was resolved that a meeting of parishioners be called at Petone to consider the question of an assistant curate.
Votes of thanks were passed to the ladies of the Sewing Bee, the retiring Vestry and Auditors, the Superintendents and teachers of the Sunday-schools, the organists and the members of the different choirs, and also to the lay-readers, Messrs. Gaby, Gardiner, and Cheesman.
This concluded the ordinary business.
The election of Synodsmen resulted in Messrs. W. A. Fitzherbert and R. Parker being returned.

Hutt News 25 July 1929
To-day being St. James''s Day a parish social has been arranged for this evening in St. James''s Hall, Woburn Road. A representative gathering is expected from the Epuni, Belmont, Taita and Waiwetu districts and a cordial invitation is extended to all. A good programme of musical items, games and dancing should form an attractive evening''s enjoyment.

Evening Post 5 November 1930
Jubilee of St James Anglican Church, Lower Hutt - A view of the church which has stood for fifty years in beautiful surrounding in Woburn road. It was built in 1880 and consecrated on 21st March of that year. Jubilee services are to be conducted in the church next Sunday by Canon H. Watson.
-
photo of church included
-
The Rev. Thomas Fancourt, afterwards Archdeacon of Wellington, vicar of St. James Church from 1870 to 1884.
-
includes photos
-
The Rev. Joshua Jones, vicar of St James Church for twenty-eight years from 1885
-
includes photo
-
The Ven. A. L. Hansell, Archdeacon of Wairarapa, vicar of St. James Church, Lower Hutt
-
includes photo
-
Old St. James Church - The second church, a portion of which is still in use as a Sunday school. The buildings shown in the photograph were erected in 1848.
-
photo of church included
-
Mr. H. T. Beck, who built the present St. James Church, and who will attend the jubilee services.
-
includes photo

Evening Post 5 November 1930
CHURCH JUBILEE
ST. JAMES'', LOWER HUTT
INTERESTING HISTORY
OLD-TIME CHARM
A church building should, by its general atmosphere, impart to the worshippers a feeling of calm restfulness and engender an attitude of mind which relegates material things to a secondary position. St. James'' Anglican Church, Lower Hutt, fulfils that ideal, and follows the best traditions of the parish church of the Old Land. It would be hard to imagine Gray writing his elegy in the churchyard of a modern institutional church — it has indeed no yard at all, only a site generally covered with ugly buildings — but St James'', with its old-world setting, would gladden the heart of the poet.
Set well back from Woburn road, away from the rush of the hurrying motor traffic, embowered in stately trees, above which its spire points heavenward, surrounded by grassy lawns in which are to be seen the hallowed graves of those far-sighted pioneers who chose the site with such wisdom, stands the building which, for fifty years, has been the spiritual home of the members of the Church of England in Lower Hutt.
The jubilee services are to be conducted next Sunday by Canon Watson.
It should be noted, however, that the services commemorate merely the jubilee of the present building. The history of the Church of England in Lower Hutt is really the history of the British community in the district, for the first church came into being over ninety years ago. The exact site of this building, the name of its builder, and the name of the first person to preach the Gospel within its walls, are not on record. The site is now probably under water somewhere near the main bridge over the Hutt River. At this time the Hutt River could be crossed by a polejumper, and it is questionable if a bridge existed, for it is probable that the church was an earlier erection than even the quaint "willow pattern" footbridge which spanned the stream at this place. All that is known is that the church stood on the western bank near the site of the inn variously, known as "Burchams," "The Aglionby Arms," and "Valentines." The erection of the building was probably a community effort, as its architecture and its materials were of the simplest, being after the style of a Maori whare and built of raupo. Its first minister was almost certain to have been the Rev. J. F. Churton, who, it is recorded, was in 1840 holding services in his own whare on the Pito-o-one beach. It is on record that a Rev. Mr. Butler was buried in the churchyard of this building, but what, his connection with the church was is not known.
Another name connected with the ministry in this building is that of the Rev. Robert Coles, who had charge of St. Paul''s in Wellington and ministered here on occasions.
In the old register of St. Paul''s may be seen the names of those baptised by the Rev. Mr. Coles in Aglionby-on-the-Hutt the name by which Lower Hutt was then known. Mr. Coles probably officiated after the departure of Mr. Churton, who stayed in the district for a short time only.
FIRST CHURCH WASHED AWAY.
This first church, with the bodies of those buried in its churchyard, was washed away by one of those tragic floods to which the Hutt River was subject, after it had served the community for a few years. Whether it survived the erection of its successor, which was really the first fully-organised Church of England in Lower Hutt, is not clear, but probably it had disappeared before the erection of the first traffic bridge in 1846-47. Some of the timber, the whole of the porch, and the windows of the second church are still in service, for the building was dismantled and re-erected in 1880, and now serves as the Sunday School.
The original building was erected by Messrs. J. H. Percy and Son in 1848, the date being fixed by the marriage certificate of Mr. Joseph Percy — the son in the firm of Percy and Son — who was married to Miss Anne Maria Welch on the church on 23rd October, 1848, while the shavings were still on the floor of the building.
Mr. Joseph Percy''s sons still occupy the same property — the old mill site — in Petone, while two other of the five families which then constituted Petone''s population are identified with the church.
Mr. Thomas Riddler claims to have been the first child baptised in this church. He is still living on his father''s property, and is hale and hearty at the age of 82.
The other family is the Collett family, of whom the late Mr. H. Collett and his son, the late Mr. Edward Collett, are both mentioned in the list of church officers.
After Mr. Churton''s departure the services were kept going by lay readers — notably by Mr. E. Davy. In 1848, the Rev. T. B. Hutton was appointed to the parish extending from Pencarrow Heads to Wairarapa. After ten years he was succeeded by the Rev. G. H. Johnstone, who was followed by the Rev. J. F. Herring.
In 1870 the Rev. Thomas Fancourt (afterwards Archdeacon of Wellington) was appointed, and it was during his ministry that the present church was built. The following account of its consecration is from the "Evening Post":— St. James'' Church.—" This church was consecrated by Bishop Hadfield on Sunday, 21st March, 1880. The weather was most inauspicious for the ceremony, the recent heavy rains having flooded the roads leading to the edifice. In spite of this drawback, a fairly large congregation attended to witness the consecration, which was carried out with the usual formalities. His Lordship was received at the main entrance by the minister and office-bearers, who presented a petition requesting the Bishop to open the church. A procession was then formed and proceeded up the middle aisle, the choir singing the 24th Psalm. On arriving at the Communion table the Bishop delivered an appropriate address, which was followed by prayer and the consecration sentences. The hymn, ''Holy, Holy, Holy,'' was then sung, followed by the usual morning service. The sermon was preached by the Bishop from 1st Corinthians I., 25. The offertories were devoted to the building fund. The new church is an exceedingly pretty and commodious building, and presents a great contrast to the old church, which stands beside it."
This building was erected by Mr. H. T. Beck, of Bridge street, Lower Hutt, who will be present at the jubilee services on Sunday. The contract price was £1400, and was, unfortunately, not a payable proposition. Originally there were four men interested in the contract, but before the work was completed the other three had dropped out and Mr. Beck was left to carry on. The timber, which was almost all totara, was all hand-dressed, and the gotliic window frames were cut out of solid timber. The architect was Mr. Thos. Turnbull, then Wellington''s leading architect. Tenders were called .in "The Evening Post," and it was from this advertisement that Mr. Beck tendered.
Mr. Beck recalls that times were exceedingly bad at this period, and owing to competition a very low price was put in. Carpenters'' wages then were 10s and labourers'' 6s per day. Mr. Beck, who is now 77 years of ago, came to New Zealand 55 years ago under special engagement to assist in the erection of the big wooden Government Buildings in Wellington.
The names of the wardens and vestry in 1880 were, as follows: ��������������������� Mr. W. A. Fitzherbert (vicar''s warden), Mr. J. R. Ransom (parishioners''), Captain Hewitt, Messrs. Cleland, Edward Collett, —. Williams, J. Wilkins, H. S. Fitzherbert, H. Collett, C. E. Barraud, and Captain Johnston. The descendants of many of these are well known, including the present Acting-Prime Minister.
In 1884 Mr. Fancourt, in order to devote more of his energies to the work of diocesan secretary, resigned, and was followed, for a very brief period, by the Rev. E. S. Cross, during whose ministry the present vicarage was built. Mr. Cross was succeeded by the Rev. Joshua Jones, well known to all old Hutt residents. During his term Petone in 1895 �� and later Eastbourne and the Eastern Bays separated from the Hutt church.
GREAT CHANGES.
After twenty-nine years of patient ministry Mr. Jones resigned, and soon afterwards passed to his rest. His successor, the present vicar, the Ven. A. L. Hansell (Archdeacon of Wairarapa), has seen great changes. The district has grown from a purely residential suburb, surrounded by farms, to a town of some 13,000 people. The church has been enlarged, and even now it is too small. A fine schoolroom has been put up and is in constant use. The policy of the vestry has been to take the Church to the people. In 1920 the Church of the Good Shepherd was opened at Epuni, where ground has been purchased for a future vicarage; in 1928 another churchroom (which at the present time is being enlarged) was opened at Waiwetu and dedicated to St. Paul. At both these new churchrooms, at the Parish Church, at Christ Church, Taita, and at Belmont, regular services are held by the archdeacon, his colleague, and a fine band of lay readers.
Though the present building is in a fair state of repair, it is recognised that its period of useful service is drawing to a close, and a fund has been inaugurated for a new building. Already a generous response has been made, and it is hoped that a very substantial sum will be forthcoming at the thanksgiving services on Sunday.

An article in the Hutt News 6 November 1930

Hutt News 4 May 1932
ST. JAMES''S CHURCH.
PARISH MEETING.
The annual meeting of the parishioners of St. James''s Church was held last Thursday evening. The vicar Ven. Archdeacon Hansell presided over a large attendance. Considerable interest was taken in the work of the Church, there being 13 nominations for the positions of ten vestrymen and three for the two Synodsmen required.
In his report of the year''s work the vicar stated that it was the parish''s privilege to have its quota raised to £115 this year and this obligation had been met. There had been fresh interest taken in the life of outlying districts and he paid a warm tribute to the curate, Rev W. E. Davies, for the splendid work he had done in the daughter churches of Taita, Epuni, Waiwhetu and Belmont. The vicar said that the parish was blessed beyond words in its Sunday Schools and Bible Calsses (sic), which were very well attended. He thanked the superintendents for the good work they were doing. Archdeacon Hansell made feeling reference to the sad bereavement which had befallen Mr. C. L. Collins, the superintendent of the Waiwhetu Sunday School. He deeply regretted that as Mr Collins would be leaving the Hutt, the church in this district would be losing his services. On behalf of the church he thanked him for what he had done and said that the parish owed a debt of gratitude to him. The church''s practical work was well illustrated in its work for the orphans and needy. A house to house collection was taken up each year for Social Service when from £70 to £80 was collected for the church''s homes in the diocese. The vestry had recently decided that a retiring collection should be taken up after eah (sic) Sunday service, when contributions of pence might be subscribed during the winter months, to relieve necessitous cases in the parish, coming under the notice of the clergy. In conclusion, the vicar thanked all the church workers who had responded so wonderfully during the year. He considered that the outstanding feature of the parish is the amazing number of workers who are anxious and willing to serve the church at all times.
In speaking to the report, which was adopted, Mr. R. G. House spoke of the steady growth of communicants as a very good indication of the spiritual life of the parish. The services throughout the year had been very well attended. Although the freewill offerings had fallen considerably during the year, the general offertories had only fallen £21 He paid a great tribute to the work done by the ladies to organise entertainments during the winter months and to Mrs. H. E. Leighton who had so successfully organised the garden party. On behalf of the vestry Mr House thanked Mr. F. J. Jones who had undertaken the duties of treasurer during the absence of Mr S. M. Hobbs in England.
During the general discussion which followed on the Freewill Offertory system, it was decided that an effort be made to obtain more subscribers and that the vestry report on the matter.
The election of officers was as follows:— Vicar''s Warden, Mr. A. G. W. Jarman; People''s Warden, Mr. R. G. House; Vestry: Messrs W. H. Barker, A. W. Foote, G. L. Giesen, H. A. Lines, C. Nicol, W. H. Smith, S. M Hobbs, F. D. Strombom, -. McClurg and H. B. Robb; Auditor, Mr G. D. Woodward; Synodsmen: Messrs H. V. Ward and F. D. Strombom.
Songs were rendered by Messrs Ward and Farquhar, and supper was served by the ladies.

Evening Post 29 April 1933
ST. JAMES'', LOWER HUTT
The annual meeting of the parishioners of St. James'', Lower Hutt, was held recently, the. Rev. H. E. K. Fry presiding.
The annual report dealt with the work of the parish, the departure of Archdeacon A. L. Hansell, and Mrs. Hansell, and of the Rev. W. E. Davies and Mrs. Davies, and the arrival of the Rev. H. E. K. Fry and Mrs. Fry, and of the Rev. H. V. C. Reynolds. Most satisfactory and encouraging reports of the choir, C.E.M.S., the Mothers'' Union, St. James'' Girls'' Club, and Sunday'' school were also included. The Waiwetu and Belmont churches reported progress as to both finance and attendance, and St. James'' Tennis Club had well maintained its position among the clubs of the valley. The, following were elected members of the vestry:— Messrs. W. H. Barker, A. W. Foote, G. L. Gieson, S. M. Hobbs, H. A. Lines, H. B. Robb. W. H. Smith, A. S. Kempthorne, Cowie, and Arnold. Mr. W. J. Jarman was elected vicar''s churchwarden, Mr. R. E. (sic) House parishioners'' churchwarden, and Mr. Arnold representative to synod.

Hutt News 13 March 1936 page 2
ST. JAMES''S CHURCH.
HARVEST THANKSGIVING
SERVICES.
SUNDAY - MARCH 22.
8 a.m, Holy Communion.
10 a.m, Children''s Service.
11 a.m, Morning Prayer. Preacher Rev. G. V. Kendrick.
7 p.m, Evensong Preacher, Rev. E. C. Long.
Christ Church, Taita.
9.30 a.m, Holy Communion.
Epuni
11 a.m, Morning Prayer.
Waiwhetu
7 p.m, Evensong. Preacher the Vicar.

Hutt News 14 April 1937 page 4
A very pleasant evening was spent recently at the vicarage when the vicar, and Mrs. Fry entertained the members of St. James''s choir to supper. An opportunity was thus given for the members of the choir to meet Mr Harry Brusey who has recently been appointed conductor. At the same time appreciation was expressed of the work undertaken by Miss Humphries as choir leader during the last six months.

Hutt News 14 April 1937 page 4
St. James''s and its daughter churches were well filled at all services last Sunday on the occasion of the Harvest Thanksgiving. All the churches were beautifully decorated by the various ladies committees and inspiring messages were given by Rev H. S. Kenny, of Petone, and Rev F. A. Tooley, of Berhampore, and the vicar, Rev. H. E. K. Fry. The Boys'' Home has benefited by a large consignment of fruit and vegetables.

Evening Post 29 November 1937
Kindergarten Party.
St. James Kindergarten Sunday School children, Lower Hutt, held their breaking-up ceremony on Saturday afternoon. A delightful programme, which included favourite nursery rhymes set as recitations, songs, and dances, was given by these very small people, many of whom were dressed in character, and looked like so many pages out of a picture book against a background of vivid orange tiger lilies, hydrangeas, poppies, delphiniums, and feathery bamboo.
In the interval, the vicar (the Rev. H. E. K. Fry) congratulated the teachers on the splendid progress they had made during the year, and appealed to the parents, a large number of whom were present among the audience, to support their work. Those responsible for arranging the concert were Mrs. Doran, Misses N. Low, B. Innes, M. Hounsell, B. Jarman, K. Flux, M. Reynolds, B. Munro, and J. McLeod, each of whom was presented with a posy by Mrs. A. Jarman.

Evening Post 28 February 1938
HUTT VALLEY NEWS
DISAPPOINTING WEATHER
(From "The Post''s" Representative.)
What the Americans call "a mean kind of day" in weather prevailed on Saturday in the Hutt Valley, neither wet and cold enough to retire comfortable to the fireside and yet sufficiently damp and unpleasant to cause the postponement of a number of outdoor fixtures. Two garden parties, one the annual garden party of St. James parish church, which was to have taken place in the grounds of "Woburn," Mrs. Vivian Riddiford''s home, and another in aid of Y.M.C.A. funds at "Lansdowne," Mrs. W. J. Mason''s residence in Waterloo Road, were postponed until next Saturday, while the continuation of the drizzle on Sunday interrupted the Lower Hutt Association Football Club''s picnic at Hutt Park.
In accordance with plans made for such a contingency by the committee of St. James garden party a sale of goods was held in the church hall. The vicar, the Rev. H. E. K. Fry, in an informal speech made at the beginning of the afternoon, declared that he knew that his parishioners would not take this as a disappointment; on the contrary they would have two parties instead of one. Mrs. Riddiford had extended her invitation for the following week, and the Mayor, Mr. W. J. Andrews, with Mrs. Andrews, had kindly consented to be present for the opening. He was glad to have the opportunity of welcoming, on behalf of everyone present, the former vicar of the parish, the Ven. Archdeacon Hansell, and Mrs. Hansell, and also the Hon. Walter Nash and Mrs. Nash. He also expressed his pleasure in being able to pay "tribute publicly to the organiser, Mrs. H. E. Leighton, who on this occasion, as in many previous ones, had shown at its best her characteristic good generalship in welding her numerous helpers into one highly efficient unit.
In spite of the bad weather the hall was crowded throughout the afternoon and the stallholders did a brisk business. Those in charge were:— Sweets, Mrs. Bagnall, Mrs. Vogel, Misses Gower and P. Marshall; lavender, Mesdame''s Hobbs, Clayton, Rawson, and Mclntyre, Misses Cameron, Mair, Betty Rawson, Sue Admore; cakes, Mesdames Butt, Hardcastle, Lawless, Morris, Gibbert; garden and flower stall, Mesdames Gordon, Murtagh, Vickery; needlework, Mesdames Holcombe, Mair, Martin, Doran, Judd, Boyd, Middlemiss; cool drinks, Mesdames Glyde and Long; produce, Mrs. Fuge and ladies of Taita, Mrs. Trask and ladies of Waiwhetu, Mrs. Gilbert and ladies of Epuni, Mrs. Alsop and ladies of Belmont; "oddments," Mesdames H. W. Smith, Collins, Clarke, Parkes, Futter, Dickson; children''s market, members of Chilton St.-James''s Old Girls'' Association; ices Mesdames Salt, Foster, and helpers; tea, Mesdames Graham, Strickland, Harrison, Mackissack, Marshall, Harland, Lonsdale, Taylor, Toswill, Baigent, Barker, Oppenheim, Tunley, Judd, Trewern, Jones, Burr, Clark, Stanton, and other helpers.
The pageant of nursery rhymes given by the pupils of the Sunday school will be held at the garden party next week.

Evening Post 28 April 1939
ST. JAMES''S, LOWER HUTT
The vicar, the Rev. H. E. K. Fry, M.A., presided over a well-attended annual meeting of parishioners of St. James''s, Lower Hutt, this week.
After the vicar had read his report, in which he referred to the marked progress which had been made during the past year, the vestry''s report and the treasurer''s statement of accounts were adopted.
The vicar nominated Mr. C. G. Hedge as his warden and Mr. G. L. Giesen was re-elected people''s warden. The following were elected members of the vestry:— Messrs. W. H. Barker, P. Church, N. T. Gillespie, A. G. Jarman, H. A. Innes. J. W. McKissack, D. G. B. Morison, J. A. T. Nash. W. H. Smith, G. A. Williams., parish-treasurer, Mr. E. J. Jones; auditor. Mr. H. B. Gordon.
The annual report of the vestry commented on the value of having the Rev. W. E. W. Hurst and the Rev. M. R. Pirani to assist the vicar, the Rev. H. E. K. Fry, there having been great growth in the number of families in the parish during recent years. Attendance at services, the report says, may be considered good in the light of past years, the weekly average attendance at Holy Communion being 127 as against 122 last year. The choir arrangements have been improved, and the church has been adorned by a beautiful memorial window. With a view to their becoming some time in the future separate parishes, the finances of each of the Daughter Churches have been placed on a new footing, and each now handles its own finances.

Hutt News 12 June 1946 page 7
Destructive Fire
St. JAMES'' CHURCH GUTTED
GREAT LOSS TO HUTT
In its charming, almost old-world setting, and with its historical and hallowed associations, St. James'' Church was not only the centre of Anglican Church activities in the Lower Hutt but was one of the outstanding beauty spots of the district, therefore its destruction by fire on Friday morning is regretted by the whole community. Though the walls and steeple still stand, the interior of the church was completely gutted. Almost as a symbol that other things may pass away but the Word of God endures was the fact that amid the devastation after the fire lay the big Bible, only its cover destroyed.
The fire was discovered about 6.30 on Friday morning. The Lower Hutt, Petone and Hutt Park Brigades were quickly on the scene and did splendid service, but as the fire had apparently been burning for some hours before being discovered the interior of the church was gutted before the outbreak was got under.
Scene of Destruction
There was a scene of devastation after the fire. The valuable pipe organ was in ruins, the beautiful stained glass memorial windows broken, the chancel screen that had been erected in memory of the church members who fell in the first world war damaged beyond repair, cassocks and choir robes burned, the whole interior a scene of desolation.
Anglican Church services were first held in the Hutt Valley in 1840. In 1848 what is known as the "Old Church" was opened in Waiwhetu Road (now Woburn Road), and part of this building is still in use as a schoolroom, though on a different site. St. James'' Church was built in 1880, being consecrated on March 21 of that year. Since that time it has been closely associated with the development of the district. Rev. J. C. Davies is the present vicar.
Heavy Loss
The insurances were 4000 pounds on the building, 1500 pounds on the organ and contents, and 675 pounds on the stained glass windows. The financial loss above these amounts is considerable, and of course the interuption to the church work cannot be estimated in terms of finance.
Large sums have already been promised towards a new church, and it is expected that plans for rebuilding will be put in hand almost immediately.
On Sunday services were held in the Church Hall. There were large congregations.
Site for New Church
When the call for "general business" came at Monday night''s meeting of the Lower Hutt City Council Cr. F. Lonsdale referred to the destruction of St. James'' Church as a terrible calamity, and said he would like a suggestion from the Town Planner before he moved a resolution.
The Mayor said: "Things have gone a certain distance, and I do not think that publicity would be advisable just now."
After a whispered conference between the Mayor and Cr. Lonsdale the councillor returned to his seat and the matter was dropped.
In reply to an inquiry from a Wellington press representative after the meeting Rev. J. C. Davies, vicar of St. James, said that no decision had been come to in regard to the future of St. James''s, and nothing could be decided without the approval of the parishioners. It was true that the rebuilding did in a measure enter the town planning of Lower Hutt, but the wishes of the city council were not known in the matter. It would only be with the greatest reluctance that a site more central for the parish as a whole would be considered.

Hutt News 14 July 1946 page 7
St. James'' Church
The Wellington Diocesan Synod decided last week to open subscription lists in every parish in the diocese to assist in the rebuilding of St. James Church, Lower Hutt, which was recently destroyed by fire.

Hutt News 9 July 1947 page 7
New Parochial District
Naenae and Waddington
Rev. L. King New Vicar
From August 1 the district of Naenae will be separated from the Parish of St. James'' Anglican Church and will be constituted into a new Parochial District.
The first vicar of the new district will be the Rev. L. M. King, B.A., who has been serving on the staff of St. James'' as Assistant Curate for some 18 months.
The boundaries of the new parochial district will include the new settlements of Naenae and Waddington.
Parishioners will have the opportunity of farewelling Mr. King after evensong on Sunday, the 20th inst.

Hutt News 9 July 1947 page 7
The Rev. H. C. Arnold, assistant curate of St, James'' Church, has accepted an appointment as vicar of Mangaweka and will leave on the 29th inst. A farewell social will be tendered by Mr. and Mrs. Arnold after evensong on Sunday July 29

Evening Post 21 March 19?
Modern Design For Lower Hutt Church
-
photo
Structon Group Architects.
-
ARCHITECT''S drawing of the proposed St. James Church for Lower Hutt.
New Church Of St. James For Lower Hutt
Seven years ago, the Lower Hutt community suffered the loss by fire of a well-known landmark, St. James''s Church, which, standing at the entrance to the city in its old English setting, provided an atmosphere of restfulness amidst the hustle of a modern commercial centre.
The parishioners immediately set themselves the task of rebuilding, but times were difficult and the ever rapidly rising costs of building were a severe handicap. A design to follow the lines of the old church, with its stately spire, was considered and reluctantly abandoned when the cost rose to 60,000 pounds.
"This" states the vicar (the Rev. W. F. Bretton), "seemed to us neither right nor proper. It is not the Church''s job to expend all its strength in money-raising."
The design now chosen - the work of Mr. R. C. Muston, architect - departs entirely from the Gothic. The building is dominated by the tower standing out "stark and uncompromisingly." Surmounting the tower is the Cross.
"The tower is there" states Mr. Bretton, "to remind us, even to startle us into a realisation of what the Christian faith is. We are not dealing with any soft religion ... Christ stands amidst a work-a-day world, in work-a-day clothes, to challenge it in every part to take His Way"
Normally, the church will seat 400 but provision can be made to accommodate another 100.
The white concrete structure will be some 40 feet in height, with a tower of 52 feet, or to the top of the cross, 70 feet.
The church will have several modern features, one being a driveway through a covered entrance.
The date tentatively fixed for the laying of the foundation stone by the Governor-General (Lord Freyberg, V.C.) is St. James''s Day (July 25), which will be the seventh month of the seventh year since the destruction of the old church.
The building destroyed was opened in 1880. Part of the original church built in 1848 still remains.
The new church will stand partly on the site of the present tennis courts and partly on the site of the present church hall, which will be bodily removed further east. The removal will be done by voluntary labour provided by parishioners, who will have expert advice.

Evening Post 1 July 1953 page 18
ST. JAMES''S
DAY APPEAL
Sunday, 26th July
7,000 pounds urgently required
to complete the new Church
Bring your donation to Church
or send it to the Vicar NOW
-
Line drawing of St. James Church
-
PARISH OF ST. JAMES
LOWER HUTT
-
Photo
Rev. W. F. Bretton, M.A
-
This advertisement kindly sponsored by Electric Refrigeration (N.Z.) Ltd., Wellington and Lower Hutt.

Evening Post 27 July 1953 page 11
Final Appeal For Hutt Church Nears the Target
After Evensong in St. James''s Church, Lower Hutt, yesterday, the vicar (the Rev. W. F. Bretton) announced to the congregation that he had 6670 pounds of the final 7000 pounds needed for the completion of the new church.
After the service some of the parishioners pressed money into his hand and boasted the total by another 100 pounds.
Mr. Bretton said today that the remainder had been promised and he expected to have it this week. He would make a final announcement after the service next Sunday night.
Ancestors
   
?
 
 
?
  
  
  
?
 
  
 
  
?
 
 
?
  
  
  
?
 
Family Group Sheet - Child
PARENT (U) ?
Birth
Death
Father?
Mother?
PARENT (U) ?
Birth
Death
Father?
Mother?
CHILDREN
MAA St James Church
Birth
Death